Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our cat that we got about a week before we got Calvin has been missing for a few weeks and so the boys wanted to get a new kitten....DONE!

Now the problem....Maybe since Calvin and (of course) Hobbes "grew up" together there was never a problem between them, BUT the new kitty is definately seen as prey in my house and both Calvin and Madge go nuts trying to get to her. I don't think they would hurt her on purpose, but they outweigh her by about 80 pounds and she is freaked out around them. Any advice on how to make this happen?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
No kitties here, sorry can't help other than to say keep them separate and introduce one dog at a time on a leash daily to the kittie til they get adjusted , which hopefully in time they will

·
Registered
985 Posts
Even though our Great Dane was a wonderful friend to our cat while they were on the porch together (the cat's not allowed in the house), once they were outside Maia WOULD chase her. I think it's hardwired in some breeds of dogs - maybe all. Getting them all together in a place where there's no temptation for the dogs to go after the kitten will help, but they will probably still see her as an excuse for a romp in a more open area. The kitten has to learn to evoke some respect with her claws. Good luck!

Leslie

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
NurseLeslie....

The "Woman in the Know" when it comes to cats is Sue (Denver aka Colorado's Mom). She has nine cats and the forums largest doodle so 'I think she knows of which she speaks! ' :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
FoodLady said:
NurseLeslie....

The "Woman in the Know" when it comes to cats is Sue (Denver aka Colorado's Mom). She has nine cats and the forums largest doodle so 'I think she knows of which she speaks! ' :wink:
Wow thanks Mary
How do I follow that?????

Here it is
You will have to start over and introduce dog one on one to kitten.You can not allow dogs to chase and or maul kitten. Have dog sit and when calm
then bring kitten close to dog for sniffing. Kitten needs to call the shots
here, so if kitten smacks dog that is fine as boundaries need to be set
and dogs are too big to set them. Put kitten on floor with dogs at a distance
and play with kitten while dogs are restrained. Using string or whatever you can get kitten to come closer to dogs. Maintain control over dogs at this time and if they lunge or try to chase then start all over again.
Everytime dogs do not chase kitten give reward, favorite toy food or whatever and keep reinforcing this.
This all takes time so do not worry it should all work out.
If not pm me as there are lots of plan bs etc. (teehee)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts