Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. We took Marley to the groomer the other day. We had a different one then the one we saw twice before. The groomer called us and said that Marley had some matting issues. I was surprised, because I had this image of matting as big ugly harmful things. I went to see what she meant, so I could educate myself. It was not bad, but but very close to his skin virtually all over there were spots of lab unable to move because of the poodle hair. Marley is an F1b so this did make some sense. She advise combing him out then get the groom. To make a long story short, in the end the we decided, with the groomers advise, to go ahead and trim him down to an inch in length. Later the groomer decide to go shorter because of the matting. I still do not think it was necessary, and it will grow back but I was not to happy about the way Marley looked when we went to get him. We thought we were doing a good job of brushing and in many ways we were, but we concentarted out efforts in the areas, were it seemmed it needed it. The we got the other areas to briefly. So we will scratch this up as a learning experience, and learn to live with this until it grows back in. It is hard for me because i just loved the it was before. I have done more research and I am purchasing an arsenal of brushes to see that this does not happen again.

I have seen lots of doodles, many of which I am sure that are not brushed as often or as much as Marley has been. I had no idea there were any issues. And then this. I am not sure, but perhaps the new groomer was less experienced(?) and made a wrong call? Was over careful? Who knows. We will most likely go back, but I think we will ask for the other one we had.

Anyway, here is the results. Tough for me to get used too, but we still love our boy!! :D :D :D

Before

After( Some at the dog park, his debut as a short hair!!)
[/img]

Still alot of snow on the ground. Check the pinic table.

Back home resting
[/img]

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
wow he looks like a totally different dog. I like both looks...I bet he's nice and soft now and you just wait to see how clean he stays :) I think he looks very cute, but if it makes you feel better...Dex (F1B) gets cut down to 1/2 inch every 2-3 months and it barely takes 3-4 weeks for him to be all scruffy again.

Our groomer is very very good at not shaving Dex or cutting him too close. We have brought him in fairly matted in the past and somehow she gets it out. If you are unhappy, maybe ask for the other groomer next time? I do think he looks cute w/his short do :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I'm with Leslie ........he looks sooooo cute in his new cut BUT i am sure you're used to his usual look
In about a week or two the coat already is growing back in and fluffing out again.

If Marley's matts were that close the groomer was making the best decision possible.

I LIKE Marley's new cut :D

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Well, I have to admit that I am chuckling. In just a matter of hours your doodle was transformed into a poodle with a crazy tail. :) He is still cute as can be and, luckily, it will grow back quickly.

Deb

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hey Marlely, you look like me - shorter in a few spots but close - Love Annabelle !

Greg I question their cutting his head and face so short, those are 2 areas that are very easy to comb out but they will grow back, at least they left the end of his tail long and his ears long

He looks adorable, nice an fuzzy soft

·
Registered
337 Posts
Short is such a relative term. :shock:

Marley, you look great. Personally, I love that length. Easy to care for, and oh, so soft!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I think every single Doodle on this forum looks
gorgeous regardless of what kind of cut they get............or don't get, as the eyes are always the same Doodle loving dogs that make this breed so special. I always crack up when I hear that said dog now looks like a poodle considering they all have poodle in them to begin with....
bahahhahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Marley........I think you look mighty sexy there.......
Miko

It's always a shock when you see them at first, but I think it's a great look. My 2 "curlies" are about ready to get their's shorn! :wink:

G

·
Marley looks beautiful! I have grown to LOVE the short look. Bella has the same coat as Marley and keeping up with it is very difficult.
Here are my hints:
Use a comb...brushes tend to be fairly useless with this type of coat. Many people love the buttercomb by Chris Christensen. I have not tried it yet. I use a GroomaRake and a GroomaComb.
Use Best Shot shampoo and conditioner. And I know this kind of defeats the purpose of grooming, but it WILL save Marley's length if you do the shampoo and conditioner before the groom and comb the tangles away. If the mats are not too bad, the best Shot does a good job...many other shampoos and conditioners (like the groomer uses) can only be used if the dog is combed out and matt free FIRST. Best Shot advises combing AFTER the bath for better results...the little mats just slide out when drying.
The Groomer just does not want the grooming to be a long, bad experience...but you can do a little at a time at home without a problem. I'll do Bella in sections, head and ears one day, half body another, then tail and 2 legs.....the spray from Best shot also helps detangler once they are dry or if you don't want to bathe them...
Once you do this a few times, you will come to enjoy the shorter look! :lol:
I am going to attempt trimming Bella this week...wish us luck! :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Marley looks just like Maya after a similar incident with the groomer. I was ticked too because my groomer is sort of giving up. Of course, it's easier for the groomer to zoom off the coat. I took Maya down to a 1" puppy cut for the winter because it snows here a lot and she loves the snow. Maya comes in from the snow and has huge snowballs stuck to her hair, which insulates the snow and it then doesn't melt! I have had to stick Maya in the bathtub in warm water twice to get her to melt :shock: So, I kind of gave in too I guess. But I feel your pain :cry:

As others have likely suggested, use a comb, not a brush to get to the base of Marley's coat. And comb often to keep those mats down. It's necessary to comb the mats out...you'll be shocked how much hair comes out with a single combing. Maya is an F1B too, so I know exactly what you mean about the matting.

Marley looks sweet regardless and he's blond version of Maya after her last haircut...too funny.

MJ

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hey Greg-
Marley looks really good! I know it takes some getting used to but everyone is right when they say it grows back fast. Its so much easier in the spring and into summer. I DO think that shaving them down makes it easier for the groomer and they could have tried to keep it longer per your request. With Parker I told them the same thing and she said " well me might need to go shorter, do we have your permission?". She proceeded to just go ahead and use one of the shortest clippers. For me I think its easier to do it myself, and you could too if Marley would be willing. If you ever want to borrow the clippers, let me know and I'll show you how I've done it. :D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For me I think its easier to do it myself, and you could too if Marley would be willing. If you ever want to borrow the clippers, let me know and I'll show you how I've done it.
Thanks for the offer Mike. But I don't think that that is an undertaking I plan on taking just yet. We still have aspirations of keeping him on the longer side. How long is long is what remains to be seen. We are reseaching all kinds of brushes and combs and we are going purchase an arsenal of them and just do a better job of brushing/combing him out. And probably more frequent trips to the groomer. The last time we took him was in November, so maybe a check every two - three months, depending on how its going. It will be more of a learning process for us. It never ends I guess. You will see for yourself how we do at the dog park visits.

·
Registered
670 Posts
LOL! I certainly understand that Greg! It's not for everyone. Next time Parker needs a cut I may change my mind. For Sofie and I its always been "bonding time"! I'm not sure if Parker would see it the same way! :lol: :roll:

Anyway let me know if you ever change your mind!!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
What is it about grooming a labradoodle this is so hard? I haven't taken Cacao yet. I don't know if I want to. Everyone seems to have not so good stories about getting them groomed. I guess I will have to check around before I take Cacao anyplace.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, well, when you get around to grooming your doodle...try to avoid going for this look!

I laughed and laughed when I picked up Maya this day...her beard disappeared and she got a flat top...too funny.

MJ

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
blueteal said:
I think every single Doodle on this forum looks
gorgeous regardless of what kind of cut they get............or don't get, as the eyes are always the same Doodle loving dogs that make this breed so special. I always crack up when I hear that said dog now looks like a poodle considering they all have poodle in them to begin with....
bahahhahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Righto Sue! I'd worry more is an f1b DIDN'T look like a poodle!

When Moses gets clipped he too looks like a totally different dog. Smaller, narrower and far lighter besides. Just like yours. Like you, I prefer the longer coat, so am glad it does grow back quickly.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm taking the 2nd pic of Marley with me to the groomer Tuesday....I love it! Marley, you are perfect!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think he looks cute. My sister keeps her doodle's coat this short.

I just picked up a brush that I think I read about somewhere on this site...can't remember who recommended it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061MWJK

Tried it last night. Pixie doesn't shed at all, and usually when I brush her (with a wire brush) I end up with a few hairs on my shirt. Well, this rake was pulling out hair (fur?) like crazy. I didn't groom her whole coat, and didn't spend nearly as much time as I typically do, but I got a big old hairball from her, and my shirt was COVERED. She didn't like it much - she was panting the whole time I brushed - but it did an amazing job.

She has been getting mats lately (she's 8 months), so I'm hoping this will solve that problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts