Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an awful time of teaching the kids not to walk into our house with super excited energy with the dogs. Annie, after living with puppies for 8 months is just now "getting" that you have to ignore them until they calm down.

Annie's best friend is here to spend the night... she came into the house and immediately got the dogs riled up with her energy. I tried to corral the dogs but Sandy jumped up and snapped at Rhiannon (a playful snap, not a mean one) and he caught her lip... the inside edge - and bit right through! She has a small through and through puncture wound that has now turned into a fat lip. I cleaned it with some peroxide and she's icing it... is there anything else I can do? It isn't a stitchable wound because of its area, and in fact it barely bled - just lots of spot bleeding.

Is there anything else I can do for it? I'm really really shook up, and so incredibly angry at my dog AND myself. Sandy is petrified of me now because I screamed at him and dragged him into Iris's crate so I could deal with the situation. He is SO awful when it comes to getting over excited with new people. He has ZERO manners when it comes to that, no matter how much training we do. Molly I was able to train in a month to not jump!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh Kristin - I'm sorry!! I really don't have any advice as to what to do, but just am sorry you are dealing with this. Good luck!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Take 10 deep breaths!

If it were me, I'd call the girl's parents immediately and tell them what happened (with lots and lots of apologies for the misbehavior of the puppy!). If they decide to have their daughter examined by a doctor, I'd certainly offer to pay whatever it costs.

I'd also leave Sandy in the crate until you are in a calmer frame of mind. He probably doesn't really understand why he's there or why you are so upset.

I hope Rhiannon won't be scared of the dogs in the future and that both she and Annie have now learned why they need to be a lot calmer when they come into the house.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much calmer now! I needed to vent out that initial moment of panic!

Sandy has been freed from the crate and immediately came up to me and Rhiannon and pressed his body to us in apology for his misbehavior. Rhiannons lip looks fine. Its a small puncture wound, and I know from experience they wouldn't do anything for it. She was able to eat a big bowl of spaghetti & meatballs for dinner! And absolutely no fear of the dogs from it except maybe a bit more cautious (not a bad thing). I'll clean her lip again before bed, and will continue to treat ice topically for the swelling. I'd feel better if I could put neosporin on it though... the position makes it impossible, but after she goes to bed I'll put some on... she sleeps with her mouth open ;) This little girl is like one of my own, and has spent weeks at a time staying with us, so I'm comfortable treating her myself.

Sandy isn't nearly as bad as I made it sound in my panic... MOST of the time I can get him to focus and calm down. It just makes me nuts because he will go from compliance to my orders (relax/sit/etc) to crazies in the blink of an eye.

What a fun night!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Kristin, I am always afraid something like this will happen. My Charlie is very mouthy and even though unintentional, he could easily snag someone by mistake. When he had those sharp little puppy teeth, we were always covered in scratches.

My nine year old granddaughter comes running in the house, chases Charlie around the dining room, jumps on him and wrestles him to the ground. He has always treated her like another puppy. He chews on her long curly hair and tackles her right back. I'm surprised we haven't had a serious accident.

Sorry I got carried away with the pictures!

I'm glad that Rhiannon is in full recovery mode. Hopefully, they all learned a lesson and will settle down a bit.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kristin it is sooooo hard at times with smaller kids and puppies and accidents do happen. I'll say some prayers and hope all goes well honey

G

·
Kristin, that stinks!
What really helped Bella with this is having a set place to go when someone new arrives. She knows when the doorbell rings she needs to go on the landing...she is still able to see who is at the door, but she knows she has to stay until invited off the landing. She also has to lay down.
We practiced this over and over and over again, ring doorbell, go to spot, get treat/praise, do again a bazillion times :lol:
Once firm here, we added a person who was willing to help and would do a huge excited, high pitched hello with hugs. This is incredibly difficult, but she is getting it, slowly but surely...I'm sure maturity plays into it too.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kristin ........how is it going today?

·
Registered
36 Posts
First of all, BE THOU ENCOURAGED.

Sounds like this bite was more like a corrective nip than anything malicious. Were your dog really intent on causing injury, you would have known it in no uncertain terms, and in that case I'd think you would need some really competent professional help.

The advice about conditioning the dog to go somewhere apart from near the door is very sound. Door bell rings. Handful of threats get thrown in the designated spot. The dog gets the idea pretty quick.

My old dog administered a quick corrective nip to a buddy of mine's kid in exactly the same place. Cici was tied up and the kid was pretending to be a dog and barking right in her face ... nonstop until the correction occurred.

Obviously, this is a suitable way to correct a juvenile dog -- but not a child.

But again ... BE THOU ENCOURAGED. This should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
doesnt sound like he meant anything by it.

my female poodle bit once, but I mean it really wasnt a bite by definition.
a 6 year old boy and his family whad come over to see the house to possibly rent it and he went out back where the dogs were and went running down the sidewalk... well mackenzie wanted to run too so she ran with him and mouthed his arm, he pulled away and got a scratch. I was soooo upset that he was ok etc etc just like you were, but the parents were great and said he shouldnt have been running and him and mackenzie played that same day and they rented the house!

it will all be ok :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts