Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Tyke's first class last night and she had a ball! Right now, the trainer is working with her individually, because most of her other students are adults, and Tyke is still technically a baby @8 months. We had an hour lesson last night, which also included a lot of training for ME! No jumping, and we won't really introduce her to the obstacles for a few more weeks. Mostly we were working on teaching her to pick up on the commands for "go", "target" and directional commands. The trainer was impressed with Tyke's energy level and how quickly she picked up on all these new things. After about 45 minutes, Tyke "went A.D.D. on us" (as the trainer calls it), and decided to check out the course for herself with a doodle 500! She even took a few jumps by herself before we caught her, just for the fun of it! The trainer said "Wow - she is FAST!!" (Guess she's never seen a doodle in full flight before!) She thinks Tyke has a lot of ability, and with her relatively small size, might give a few border collies a run for their money when she grows up! Look out border collies - DOODLES RULE AND THEIR COMIN' TO YOUR SPORT!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
The trainer was impressed with Tyke's energy level and how quickly she picked up on all these new things.
haha...she described a doodle perfectly there :)

I am picturing the doodle 500s through the equipment too...haha

Hope you have fun at agility. A local place is offering a 1 day clinic in a few weeks and I think I will take Dex...I'm not expecting much, but thought it would be fun to check out :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
The trainer was impressed with Tyke's energy level and how quickly she picked up on all these new things.

haha...she described a doodle perfectly there

I am picturing the doodle 500s through the equipment too...haha
I don't think she has ever worked with a doodle before, but she has worked with both labs and poodles, and said Tyke was a great combination of the two! The labs she worked with were a bit slow, but they were willing to work all day, while the poodles were great athletes, but sometimes have a "what's the point in all this?" attitude! She said Tyke seems to have a lab's "work ethic", and a poodle's ability.

We will have another private session with her in about 2 weeks. In the meantime, Tyke and I have a lot of "homework" to practice until then!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
sounds like Lil TYKY has the best of both worlds in her personality and wil do good in agility!! hip hip hooooooooooay TYKE and good going showing them the doodle 500 run :wink:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Annmarie, the trainer also mentioned that Tyke might like flyball when she is older (she has an aussie who does both agility and flyball). However, Tyke still has issues with her "mouth to eye coordination"! She will run after a ball all day long, but you can throw something to her from a foot away, and she will miss it! :roll:

·
Registered
659 Posts
tykesmom said:
Tyke still has issues with her "mouth to eye coordination"! She will run after a ball all day long, but you can throw something to her from a foot away, and she will miss it! :roll:
Ozzie is the same way! I toss him a snack and he misses it 3 out of 4 times. What's up with that? It's gotta be a poodle thing, because both Labs I've owned could catch ANYTHING no matter how close, fast, big or small.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mija is just AWESOME! Hope her tooth isn't bothering her too much!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dakota looked awesome in his dock diving pictures on your post! We saw the Dock Dogs at the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition in February - it was a nice warm day, and I thought about letting Tyke try it just for fun, but she was too young. Maybe next year...... :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts