Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Napa and I are returning home in just about a week and I'm trying to prepare myself and my family for their meeting. Striker lived with his brother until his first family gave him up to the pound, where we got him two weeks later. We think he was the submissive one of the two just by how easily all of us were able to be "pack leaders". But Striker hasn't had true contact with another dog except for the five seconds I let him into the near by dog park for 8 years or so. The dog park was an interesting experience because the first thing he did was go and mount some other dog.... Napa's going to doggie daycare all week- Anthony and I are both working 8 hour days- so he'll be pretty "intune" to doggie mannors..... Does anyone have any idea of what I should do when I let them meet? I'm arriving at 9:30 in the morning with Napa, so we've got all day for them to meet.... My parents don't think this is a big deal since Striker is so submissive.... but I know that it doesn't really matter in dog world, so any advice would be great!

Kristen

·
Registered
156 Posts
We had three other dogs to arrive home too when bringing home Lincoln. We brought out one at a time to meet him on the front lawn both on leashes and had treats in hand as a distraction. The only one to have a problem was our female yorkie who started yapping her head off at him which made him growl and bark at her. For the first night we kept them seperated ( fear that our yorkie would nip him) since he had been bit already by the foster moms dog. The second day we tried again for a few minutes and the more Lincoln wanted to play with her t he more it made her MAD! By the third day they were friends and a week later she finally plays with him.

i really did notice having treats handy and telling Lincoln to sit ( yorkie usually doesnt however picked the command up from him now) and giving a treat helped to see that they both get something but making sure to do this before the barking and attack of the yorkie began
Michele :D

G

·
Can they meet somewhere OUTSIDE of the house? That way Striker does not feel like Napa is "invading his turf". Once they meet it and take a walk together then going inside together is easier. Not sure where I read this... Good Luck and welcome home!!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I agree.....have them MEET OUTSIDE the 1st time as it's like meeting on more neutral territory.
LET THE OTHER DOG sniff Napa 1st by holding Napa still.
then let Napa explore .

also there is the possibility once inside they home ONE Or BOTH doodles will have ONE good poop inside the house hahhaa totally normal though.

and unless they seem to get along fantastically, i'd give them time separated from each other for the 1st few days or monitor their time together

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise! I'm really hoping for a smooth transition, otherwise I'm not sure what we're going to do..... >.<

1 - 5 of 5 Posts