Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new here, though I've been keeping up with your posts for a few weeks. Next Saturday I'm getting an 8 week old labradoodle, Ruby, from Double D in Kansas. (I'll definitely post photos once we get her.) We are very excited! We've been waiting for 7+ weeks. Reading your posts has been so helpful and so joyful. I'm constantly smiling and laughing at your doodle stories and photos.

My question: Do any of you have experience with having two doodle pups at once? We would like to have two dogs, but are trying to decide whether we should get them both now or if we should wait for 6-9 months on the 2nd doodle. I've read the pro's & con's (mostly con's) on the Internet, but I wanted to hear from some folks who have had real experience with this. So, what's your advice?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Doodlebug, Here is the link to a posting on a similar subject, When to get another doodle. We have two that are 3 months apart in age. Lani was 6 months when we got Toby. We love Toby but sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have had one of Lani's littermates. They are wonderful. Good luck, they make your heart smile whether it's one or two!

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... sc&start=0

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I do not have personal experience, but I have had a family purchase two from me at the same time and they are very happy!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm a breeder also in KS and know Double D well in fact Diane I consider is one of my VERY BEST FRIEND (everyone should have more than one). :lol:

Anyway I must say you have bought from a top notch breeder first off and on the subject of the 2 pups vs 1 well you have to think off it as at times they will be a handful but at times they keep each other company and busy. So really it depends to me a lot on your life style if you are a stay at home Mom I'd say go for it, if you or a working Mom with not a lot of time on your hands I'd have to say no.

(Sorry Diane :wink: not trying to stop a sale for you just trying to be honest).

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey, this is a GREAT question!
Linda brings up good questions that only you can really answer: are you up for it? Do you have a plan ahead of time?

The good news is that Diane is a GREAT breeder, and you can get a 2nd pup from her later, if you have a hesitation on getting 2 puppies at once.

Keep us posted which way you decide!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. Lisa, the link to the previous discussion was very helpful. Like you, I had my children 18 months apart. It was crazy having a baby and a toddler at the same time...also, a traveling husband and living in a different city w/o my mom to help. Now that my kids are a little older there are payoffs from having them close together. They are buddies (most of the time). I wonder if it is like this with two puppies at once...hard at first and then big payoffs as they get older.

The one thing that really bothers me in reading about having two puppies at once is related to bonding. I've found things that say that when you have two puppies, they bond with one another and not the humans in the family. Is this true? I understand that housetraining can be more difficult, that the puppies need to be separated on a regular basis and that you need a good amount of structure. I'm just bothered by comments that the puppies might not bond well with me and my family. This is hard for me to believe/understand. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

From reading about the experiences of others who had two pups, I see there are benefits and challenges. I also understand that it depends on the person and what they are up for. I have spent the last 8 weeks planning for Ruby - talking to references, finding vet, puppy class/trainer, reading, reading and reading. I know what it's like to get up in the middle of the night and can handle that. I think I understand the basics of dog training...though I have a feeling from reading your posts (and having kids) that puppies will keep you on your toes. I'm still not sure whether I'll get one or two, but I'll let you know. I'm feeling like an excited new mom and will be sending out photos as soon as I can. I just know I'm going to become like some of you - doodleholics. :lol:

Linda, I fully agree that I've found a top-notch breeder. I have inundated Diane with emails full of questions and she has always been very honest, informative, helpful and patient. :) If we don't get two puppies now, I know we'll be back for another in a few months. Diane forwarded me photos of Lucy & Mudgee's two puppies. They are gorgeous!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Doodlebug, welcome to the forum!

First, I want to agree that you have selected a top-notch breeder! Congratulations! She will be there for you in every way, which is so important.

I have 5 dogs now, but we started with littermates...and the challenges are many, but in my opinion, the rewards are far greater than the challenges!

Our dogs are never bored...they always have a ready playmate...they teach each other, they keep each other company when we are gone, they absolutely love each other.

The downside is that what one doesn't find to destroy, the other will! They join each other in the mischief so the results are twice as big...and it takes a lot of watching to be sure they are safe.

The main advice I would offer is to train them separately, give each one "alone" time...teach them that one can be crated while the other is being trained or going for a walk...and be sure to have them learn to be crated separately...not always...we left our dogs together in a crate but we kept a smaller crate inside the larger one so that they could get away from each other if they wanted.

But, you will sometime have to take one to the vet overnight or you will have to kennel one sometime and it is best if they are used to staying alone.

It is harder to train them, because they are distracted by the other dog...still, that is your reality and you will find ways around it.

I would not want a dog alone any more...I love having more than one...and I think that you will too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jac, Thanks for your advice. I sincerely appreciate the specific suggestions. It's the logistics of crating and confinement that leave me with more questions.

As for crating two puppies - I purchased a Midwest Life Stages crate (42"). It sounds like it would be okay to have them both in the crate some of the time. And that I would need to have them spend time in it alone sometimes (e.g., taking one dog on walk, car ride, etc.). While they are little, can I put them in the crate separated by the divider panel? Or would I be purchasing another crate?

I'm a stay at home mom, but do work part-time from home. I occassionally (not frequently) have to go to meetings and am gone for several hours. Once they are a little older, can they be confined together (it would be a large bathroom)?

Again, thanks for your advice!
-Becci

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Becci!

There are those who will disagree with me and say that each pup should have his/her own crate...but for us, one extra large crate worked great!

We put a travel crate (plastic) inside the large crate and then put blankets around. We placed food, toys, chewies in there and water and (again folks will say this was bad, but it worked for us when we were gone) a potty pad on the side of the little crate.

It wasn't long before we could remove the smaller crate and the potty pad...but it served a good purpose for us while the pups were very small. (I then put a potty pad on the kitchen floor because I figured that if they did need to potty at least they had a place...and they used it once in a while...not often...then we installed a doggie door and that was the end of inside potty time.

As they grew, we put a blanket over about 2/3 of the crate, making a "den" but they often pulled it down and chewed on it!

When we were home, we left the door open and they often went inside to rest.

When they got old enough, we left them in the kitchen (all doors closed) and still had their large crate in there for them.

It was funny, when we took out the small crate...I put it in the kitchen (to take it away) and one day I found Lexie inside! It was hilarious because I have no idea how she got in there! It was way to small for her! She climbed in, face first, and then turned around and poked her head out...she looked like a turtle. :shock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts