Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In moving home, its going to be the clash of "dog attitudes" between me and my parents. Napa's on top of the line, high protein, no grain, low carb dog food, with the occasional raw. Striker is on cheap Alpo canned food, and Pedigree? kibble..... Napa goes to doggie daycare, gets top of the line toys, and if we board him, at a doggie daycare nice facility. Striker gets a cheap kennel.

So, how do I make sure that Napa doesn't go after Striker's food, and vice-versa? I'm more worried about Napa to Striker than Striker to Napa because Napa's more sensative when it comes to his stomach, and Striker's food would REALLY make him sick! I can't ask my parents to switch foods, they won't go there. And I definitely don't want to reduce Napa's quality of food- not after all that we've spent on him to make sure he's healthy!

Thanks in advance!
Kristen

G

·
Maya is on Wellness and my BF's dog is on Purina. When I feed them together I stand there and watch until they are done. Tucker is done w/in 30 sec and Maya takes a min or two. You can always feed them in two different rooms as well. If you free fedd then I don't have any ideas sorry!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! nope, neither of us free-feed. Napa's fed twice a day, Striker's once a day. It's nice to know that you can feed different foods without problems! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
When we had our foster dogs, they were eating the same food but I still stood guard and made sure they ate out of their own bowls. The first foster was such a pig! He would down his food in about 30 seconds and want Charlie's too. I was careful because I wanted to make sure both doodles got enough to eat and didn't get overfed.

I fed them at the same time. At first, I had to separate them on different sides of the room and physically sit between them to stop the cross-eating. Within a few days, they figured it out and stuck to their own bowls. Of course, with different types of food, you're going to have the "grass is always greener" problem and I bet they will both be interested in the other dog's food.

Deb

·
Registered
260 Posts
we had three dogs in our condo this weekend when my sister was visiting with her aussie. none of the dogs are free-fed. my sister just fed her dog in the spare bedroom at the same time as we fed our dogs, and the three shared the same water bowl.

-em

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Callie and Kiwi are on two different foods too - Callie (the labradoodle) is on Orijen large breed puppy, and Kiwi (the miniature poodle) is on Orijen senior. They're equally high-quality foods, but it has taken a bit of thought to be sure the right kibbles get into the right dog.

The labrador half of Callie will eat anything and everything that doesn't move. She will happily polish off all that is in her own dish, then go for Kiwi's.

What I do is to let out, then feed Kiwi first thing in the morning, and once I've put his dish down, I immediately take Callie outside for her morning potty trip. That gives Kiwi a 'head start' without his greedy sister zooming in for leftovers. By the time Callie and I come back inside, Kiwi has eaten all he wants. If there are a few extra bits in the bowl, I don't mind Callie cleaning them up, but if I did nothing at all poor little Kiwi would starve! Callie doesn't feel deprived because she is outside peeeing and playing ball!

I would say that the thing to do is to make sure they get fed while the other dog is doing something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts