Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wheeee, hats off to all of you with 2 dogs (or more!). we are dogsitting a friend's 2 year old black lab this weekend - she's only been here for 3 hours, and i am already exhausted! sammy is not quite sure she wants to play with this GIANT (relative to her) dog, they are eating each other's food, playing crazy tag with the toys, and ellie the lab doesn't understand why sammy is constantly running to hide under the bookshelves. oh my. and it is supposed to storm all weekend here, so we'll be trapped indoors! i wish i had an fenced yard so i could let them play off leash, but no such luck - they're just making an obstacle course of my living room.

but they are so cute when they snuggled together on ellie's dog bed - it's worth it!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hahaha...trust me, once they get used to each other it gets better (it took ours a few weeks). They are still crazy about playing, but it is not all the time. We also have a fenced yard so we can ship them outside when they get crazy.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Just give it 8 or 9 or 24 hours, they will calm down eventually. Tomorrow wiull be more of the same, just for a little shorter time. Its fun :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Try one dog with nine cats and new laminate floors
The cats think it is great to race and slide across the floor
We can have our own bowling games now................
bahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
670 Posts
2 can be exhausting but fun too!! :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh goodness, they did not stop running around until we put them to bed!!! there were also several housebreaking regressions and a vomiting incident - i went through a whole roll of paper towels....

how can they have this much energy? they better sleep in until at least 7 am tomorrow ;-)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm killing myself laughing - I was just playing the cat bowling game and suddenly the TV switched on... so I go over and look and Jofi is sitting on the couch relaxed with the TV remote next to her, watching TV (incidentally watching a telesales channel selling some kind of food processing device - is my doodle making a hint?!).

I was meaning to share that we're getting our second doodle in June!! He's a gold/apricot coloured Australian labradoodle (standard, wavy fleece) - he's about 2 week's old at the moment - we're going to call him 'Tenzin'. I think it's going to be great for Jofi to have a playmate - clearly she's bored out of her mind if she feels a need to watch the telesales!!

Good luck with the dog-sitting - they'll probably be exhausted sooner or llater :)

Libby

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is it just 10 am??? phew. i don't know how y'all do this with more than one dog. everyone in the house is ready for a nap - we had a long night. unfortunately, ellie the lab is not used to sleeping in her crate anymore but i didn't feel comfortable having her just out in the house (or on the bed, she's huge!) so she whined and whined and whined all night and pawed at her crate. thankfully, the puppy was so zonked out from all the action she slept right through it. but, more potty accidents this morning... we'll see how this turns out at the end of the weekend ;-)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
oh no...sorry to hear it. I bet Ellie is confused about where she is and where her parents are. It took us a good 2-3 weeks after getting Kirby to get everyone settled at night...once we let him sleep in our bedroom w/us it all got so much better.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ellie was definitely a little confused! she's stayed with me before, but that was before sammy was around, so things are a bit different these days.

well, after another wild morning of dogs jumping up and down the couches, skidding across the floor, and tearing up toys - oh, and more potty accidents and even some vomiting - we decided this wasn't such a hot idea after all. we called ellie-the-lab's owner and apologized profusely for thinking this would work out -- maybe if sammy was a bit older and 100% housebroken (she's probably about 90%) & if it wasn't miserable weather out so we could take them to the dog park to run around, it would have been easier. so for now ellie is off to doggie day camp & overnight at petsmart (where she has stayed before and they love her there). hopefully they'll both have calmer days today!

i'm off to take a nap...

(mental note: it might be a while before we consider another dog... ;-))

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
goodheart , i have 3 doodles and will say at times it is work
BUT it's easier when their your OWN dogs aka doodles that someone else's with your puppy.

I have watched other dogs to-date , once i had the poodle from hell
for 8 days 7 nights ...NEVER ever again.
my friend's doodle that is Beau's brother ,,,,,,OMG after 6 hours i was worn out.

with Max and Peanut then adding Beau, well for some reason i was never worn out like i am with other people's dogs
GO have a great nap that is well deserved

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i think that is very true, annmarie -- that way you have trained them YOUR way, they are used to your space and routines. i have no doubt we'll get a second dog one day (actually, if i have anything to do with it, a goldendoodle! i love the low-shed aspect so much - even more so after having the lab over & my couch COVERED in fur!) - but i think i'll wait until sammy is older and reliably trained, and i have some more space to work with! she loves playing with other dogs so i think she'd enjoy a playmate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts