Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread, someone mentioned that they have two crates for their doodle. I believe they said one was in bedroom, presumably for overnight. The other was kept in living room, I guess so puppy could be with people during daytime/evening without running loose and getting into trouble.

Does anyone have thoughts on such an arrangement? Potential drawbacks? Arguments for/against multiple crates for single animal?

We are in planning stages of getting mini or medium pup in next few months and wondering about such issues.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
When Hershey was a puppy I spent a lot of time carrying her crate from the bedroom to the kitchen. It was only for a few months, until we could trust her out of our sight while we were home but busy downstairs. We had it in the bedroom for sleeping until she was 6 months, then we let her on the bed. If you can buy two ts easier to have two but you may only use them for less than a year (you will have a second crate for when you get a second doodle :D)

G

·
I hated lugging that big, bulky crate up and down every night. After about 3 weeks we bought a second crate. Two worked out much better!

·
Registered
462 Posts
We don't have multiple crates, but we did end up buying two puppy play pens, which have turned out to be quite beneficial. However, Napa's had to have surgery because of bilateral growth plate issues, so he's needed to be confined at all times. So, hopefully you don't need this... But, I would vote for a crate and a play pen. It's one of those things that you will never know if you will need.

We bought the soft sided on and a wire one. The soft sided on worked until Napa figured out (when he was younger and smaller) that he could push himself through the "door". The joint is only held together by three snaps. But, the wire one is heavy, and has damaged our walls when we tried to move it from the bedroom to the living room (before we brought out the soft one so we had one in the living room and one in the bedroom). But, the wire one kept him contained when he was younger. Also, Napa has separation issues, so he really wasn't a fan of the play pens when he was younger.

I too was thinking about two different crates. I also, come to think about it, bought two crates. I had a regular wire crate and I bought a portable crate. Napa hated being confined at night, so all I would hear at night was his tags against the hard plastic floor of the wire crate, so I bought the soft crate hoping that he'd be more quiet..... But now, Napa sleeps on the floor of the bedroom. He never did really like the portable crate, and its now sitting in storage.

But, it should be what will work for your family and your situation. If you feel you need two crates, then you should have them. But, at the very least, you should have a few baby gates to confined the puppy to areas. If we had more tile than we do, we might not have needed some of the things we had to do. So, it really depends on your training style, I think.

(ps, if this is wordy and long, sorry-- its really too early for me to be writing!)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
It has worked wonders for me! One in the bedroom & one in the living room.
I tried it first with just one in the BR................when I stuck one in the LR it made a total difference for the better!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
We always recommend just one crate with expen connected while little
think about it this is the puppies room, his area, his space, it should be in one place so that he is not confused,,
a pup doesnt need to be in the bedroom , this causes them to develop separation anxiety if you are letting them sleep in your room, the pups area needs to be in a high traffic area such as living room, dinng room family room, when he is in his pen ,, that is his time ,, i have found the expen and crate set up is the easies to start crate training and a very safe place for pup to be when cant be watched, gating off rooms isnt safe i have had 2 pups that injested things and had to have emergency surgury, here is how its set up

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We dont have the puppy in the bedroom because SHE needs to be there, we have her there because WE want her there. We love our monring doodle cuddles :D

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
KingstonTodd said:
We dont have the puppy in the bedroom because SHE needs to be there, we have her there because WE want her there. We love our monring doodle cuddles :D
Thats great, however what i am saying you are potentially creating a problem later
you could go to get her from her space in the am and play with her on the floor, from over 30yrs of raising training and showing dogs, vet tech
a pup need to know its place or you will create problems in the future,

Csear millian has a new book out, ihave gotten fabulous feed back on,i havent had the chance to read yet, its called be the pack leader
suppose to be a awsome book
i hope to read it soon, Im a big csear fan his methods work !!!

G

·
Maya sleeps in my room and has from day 1. At first she was crated and after a few weeks once she got used to me and her new home she was allowed on the bed. Now she sleeps with me on the bed everynight. I did read that this could lead to some issues with the dog not seeing you as the pack leader and so far it hasn't. Also Maya has always hated her crate and she still does (she runs and hides if she knows it is time to go in). I have just granted her free roam of the first floor when I am gone and so far she has been great. No accidents and nothing destroyed. She is also much calmer and happier when I get home (she is only 7 mos). I think each dog is different and once you get to know your pup you can figure out what works for you.

·
Registered
448 Posts
When I got Nicky I put his crate in the dining area doorway so he could see people in the living room, dining area, and kitchen. He slept there at night and stayed in his crate when I had to be out and about during the day. He cried a little bit the first few nights in his crate, but soon he knew it was his place. He would go in it without me telling him to.

He's now about 14 months old. It's been several months since he's slept in the crate at night and I don't crate him anymore when I go out. Most of the time he sleeps next to my bed (he's not allowed on it) or in the living room.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Thats great Sandy, you made him like his crate, you trained him he didnt train you, that is the way it is suppose to be done :)

it only takes one time getting into somthing and you could have a dead puppy/dog

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I don't have the room for a crate/pen that size!
All my dogs were always welcome in the bedroom. Bogie sleeps next to the bed now in his crate and I can't wait until he can jump up with us!
The crate in the living room is used so he's around us too day and night.

I think it's up to each individual. I agree that a pup needs to know it's place in that a crate is a crate.....wherever it might be.........bedroom, den, car etc. It also helps when pups/dogs go to be boarded or to a groomer. I don't think more then one crate will confuse or cause a problem. It's working out well for us while Bogie is a puppy. It also worked well for 5 other dogs I've had in my life. Just do what works best for you!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver sleeps in our bed.
He no longer has a crate upstairs
and the one downstairs is always left open should he have the desire.
He has full run of the house at 19 months and that started around 11
months.......................

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
blueteal said:
This is my goal! YAY!! I only have about 16 months to go!! :roll: I can't wait!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we have always had 2 crates for our doodles when puppies so we hated lugging them up at night and down by day.

Max sleeps with us most of the time in our bed and we wake up with him at the foot of bed or on his doggy bed on the floor

Peanut started sleepin in our bedroom at around age 11mos

Beau HAS to sleep in his crate or NO ONE gets any sleep hahahaha
he's 5mos right now

NOW one thing i will say is that as LONG as you dog knows you're the pack leader then there shouldn't be any issues later on.
When max started obedience training he WANTED to sleep in his crate for 2.5mos THEN later on he started coming back up to the bedroom

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Guess I have seen to much that can happen in my 30+yrs in Dogs
was just trying to save you some heartache,,forget i even spoke :roll: sheesh

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
blueteal said:
So, do you have a Double King bed?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Regarding Cesar Millan:

Nancy, please forgive me for what I'm about to post. You're obviously a big fan of Cesar Millan, so I don't want to step on your toes here. While his methods may work for some, I think it's only fair to let others know that his methods are not without controversy.

Here's an article that ran in the San Francisco Chronicle that is critical of Cesar Millan's methods: The Anti-Cesar Millan

Here's an article written by the director of the San Fransico SPCA. There are many links at the bottom of the page regarding Cesar:Urban Dawgs

Ian Dunbar's book focus a great deal on crate training. He is the founder of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts