Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone answer this question for me...

Most sites I have been to have dogs with either black or liver colored noses, but I have seen some puppies listed with both black and pale pink colors together on their noses. Why?

Thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sadie had two colors in the winter...they call it "snow nose" but then it changed to all black. Puppies can have different colors. I don't know about older dogs though. Does yours have two colors?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't have one yet. We are looking for a puppy to call our own! I was just curious as to the reason I see them dual colored in some pics.

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
My first thought was also snow nose...but when you said that the breeder lists them as 2 different colors, I wonder if the pup is parti or mismarked? If so, that could explain the two colors. For instance, I have black puppies with white on their chins, chests and toes...the ones with white on their toes have black claws where their coat is black and white claws where their coat is white.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Probably is parti colored

That is pretty common with a parti colored puppy. Almost all of my parti colored pups have two colored noses. Sometimes they fill in, most of the time they don't.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I think it's adorable the few times i see a dog or even a cat with mixed colored noses :D

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
When pups are very young they will have a pink nose.
This is a 24 hr old baby with a pink/black nose. As she matures it will turn all black like her parents.

Here she is again at about 3 months of age with her black nose.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
So...is this "snow nose"?
One of Tuesdays pups had pink around the top edge....
First picture shows her at about 6-7 wks. old, 2nd pic @ 6 months.
The yellow lab is her gramma....she has it too. It is not a clear cut "pied" look....more like a skinned knee(or nose) look.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
JUDI that last pic sure looks like a dead ringer for snow nose

my breeder's GoldenRetriever gets snow nose every winter :wink:

which always gets me to thinking of genetics, proteins and what really is affecting pigmentation then :wink:

BACK to our regularly scheduled topic :D

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
GREAT question!!
My girl Copper has a pinkish tint on her nose and I think she always has. HOWEVER she has black lips and eyelids, and so her nose's color is somewhat irregular. I'll let you know if it ever goes all the way to black; we got her in August and the winter pictures showed the pink nose, and honestly, I didn't notice or remember if her nose was black last summer.
Here's Copper:

MEANWHILE, here's a legitimate assortment:

Brandi is a CARAMEL puppy, with a liver nose:

And NICK is a dark apricot with a black nose. I suppose his nose could go rosy in the winter but his eyelids and lips are black.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I think the snow nose phenomenon is separate from the dilute gene and I have only seen it in YELLOW Labs/Doodles. I have and have had several diluted dogs and no sign of noses changing color.
Personally I do like it tho - like I like white spots on the muzzle and chin because I think it's a fun look! And if a dog legitimately has liver nose, and lips and eyelids it means something different for a breeder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts