Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we drove 2 hrs. to get to the dog show so that Tuesday & Marley could get CERF tested(both passed w/flying colors!!).BEAUTIFUL venue, but, by the time it was our turn to sign up, the next appt's were over 4 hrs. later, so we hung out there all that time.
The people that we met from the dog club were great! When I signed up for CERF, when asked what breed they were, I hesitated, then quietly told them Labradoodle (gulp!). The sign-up lady replied "don't worry, we don't have a problem with that here, are you the same gal that came last year?"(no). When I returned with my filled out paperwork, the table of 5 of them were in a heated disscssion on Golden Doodles :lol:
When we returned prior to our appt., they asked how come there was such a difference in coats between Tuesday(F1 LD, favors Lab) & Marley(F1B LD, favors Poodle). It got into a nice question and answer period & they were genuinely interested.
I also put on their pinch collars as I didn't want them to act up with all the
other dogs there & squirrels in the park....the 2 of them together are over 150#, and when they get excited can be a BIG handful! One of the gals from the club came over and warned me that if any of the officals saw me with those collars on I would get kicked out, so we quickly attached their leashes to their regular collars, and hid the pinch collars....I thought that was nice of her! :oops:
After awhile I got braver and followed my husband into the crowds...there were a few raised eyebrows, mainly from poodle breeders & a couple judges, but no snide comments. My husband felt that people treated the dogs like they had cooties, pulling them away when they sniffed the other dogs ,but I told him that they probably were just concerned about disease transmission as I have heard that dog shows are a common source.
I don't know that I would go to a large show, but actually felt proud of my Labradoodles there.....even with Marley and his "bobble-head" cut.
While all the show dogs had to hang-out in the heat & look pretty....

Marley and Tuesday got to jump into the river there hourly...

Tuesday didn't like them, but Marley was a sport and got to wear dad's Raybans for awhile as his eyes returned to normal...

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
play in the water or sit in the hot sun??????????
You guys are not only the coolest but the smartest

Woof wooof

Denver

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
you let YOUR dogs be dogs ...letting them cool off in the water :D

love the Rayban shades shot!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm glad it went well for you and they both tested good.
Could have been a long 4 hrs if anyone had been snotty about your hybrids.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Great pictures of a great day. Especially for your doods!! The poor poodles look like they're saying....Help us please!! We just want to swim too!! :wink:

·
Registered
302 Posts
It's awesome to hear that no one was too snotty. I kind of wonder if they all forgot that most breeds were blended at some time or another in the last several hundered years! Your doods look by far the happiest dogs there to me! And I'm in 100% agreement.. great shades Marley!

By the way.. what kind of testing is CERF testing? I've had a little mutsky who's only job is to be happy and love me for 10 years, so I'm totally out of everything! Our LD puppy is going to be born Monday (yay!) so I'm trying to brush up!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Glad it went well today - getting to swim ever hour is hands-down more fun than sitting on a table being groomed - who needs to be groomed, anyhow, when you've got a cool pair of shades on ;)

Just a silly question about those stunning trimmed poodles in the first pic - what are the pink things dangling from their ears? They look a bit like earrings or braids. I have to say - I find the versatility of the poodle coat amazing but I would be more than just a bit embarrassed walking in the park with such a pooch!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all!!
Yes it WOULD have been a long 4 hrs. if they were snotty!! I was also very grateful to have my husband & daughter with me, they are so supportive.
Libby&Jofi.....I am not sure but I think the ears/hair are wrapped prior to showing, to keep them tangle free and clean. Maybe someone else knows that has showed before.
Another thing I found interesting was a person who was showing that had an x-pen of the cutest little cocker spaniels right at 7-8wks old. After all the disscussions here on people coming to your house and carrying diseases...YIKES :shock:, and at a show!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree, it does seem risky to bring such young pups to a big show and exposing them to possible disease.

It seems in the States you are more cautious with young pups - in the Netherlands it's standard to begin puppy school at 8 weeks - I began with Jofi at 12 weeks and she was the oldest pup there. Vets mostly deem it 'safe' to walk outside with a pup that's had it's 6 week inoculations and is now 8 or 9 weeks old. Whereas, on the other side of the pond you have to wait until the pups are 12 weeks or older? I wonder why there is the difference?

A few weeks back I saw a lady with a 6 week old puppy and its mother, at the local lake. It was the only pup in the litter so I guess it was essential for it to have early socialization but I wondered what risks they were running.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hello MerNor, I didn't know what CERF was either so I googled up the answer.

CERF is a centralized, national registry of dogs certified free of heritable eye disease by members of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists

Congrats on passing the test Tuesday and Marley!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Great pictures!!! Congratulations!!!
Love the sunglasses! :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts