Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It worked ! Now my question.

Now I've got it ! We have recently adopted Lizzie and Louie--2 year old litter mates. Due to illness the owner had to part with them--we are now blessed to own these beautiful chocolate doodles. It was love at first sight. They join my husband and myself, our 14 year old Bingo--a Benji look alike. Also part of the clan is daughter Megan and Shelby - a rottie, dobe-great dane mix- 80 lbs of love-they live nearby and visit daily. Anyway--the doodles have adjusted beautifully. They love our fenced in acre--doodle heaven ! They are beautifully trained --only one problem--so finally here is my question. They do not come when called to come in from outside. We will be ready to leave the house--and we cannot get them to come in. Been late to work a few times because they are just having to much fun to come in. Any training suggestion to get them to come when called--Sorry this is so long--promise to be brief next time !

·
Registered
853 Posts
Congratulations on your new additions! Sounds like you have lots of love to give. I taught my dog to come by giving him cheese when I give him the command to come. He never wants to miss out on getting a piece of cheese! :wink: If you started it in the house, it would probably transfer over to outside pretty quickly. I always give him cheese, though, to keep it reinforced so if there's ever a real emergency when I don't have a piece of cheese, he'll still come. I use cheese because that's his favorite treat, but, you could use anything that they really like. I basically only give him the cheese for the come command so as not to overuse it.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi! Welcome and congratulations!
Sounds like the Labradoodles are really happy with you and your family.
The hardest thing to teach any dog is the "come" command...and I have been told that you never use it unless you can enforce it (having the dog at the end of a long lead where you can "reel" him in!) The reason is that you don't want them to think that they can decide whether or not to obey that particular command.
That being said, there are a variety of methods to teach "come." But the main thing is not to use this command and then stop the fun! That way they see "come" as meaning, "party's over!" So, when you call them with that command, use the best treat you can find (we use hotdog pieces) and then continue to let the dog play for a while, maybe on leash.
What we do when we leave, in order to get all 5 of our dogs inside, is that we hide treats (chicken tenders shaped in the form of quarters) all over the garage. When I say, "I've got treats!" every dog that I have comes running at break-neck speed to find the treats!
Then I lock the doors and tell them I love them and leave. It works every single time! :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Kim and Jac's suggestions are good, but I just wanted to add one thing. Practice calling them to come inside, give them a treat, and then turn them back outside. They are associating the word "come" with getting stuck in the house. You want them to learn that coming to you is rewarded, and then they can go out and have fun again.

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Great idea Bridgit! (I love this forum...and all of the wonderful advice that is given...I am constantly learning!)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What great suggestions !! Lizzie and Lou know the come command under controlled situations. I think they are just so excited about this huge space to play. Before we got them the only time they were off the leash was at the dog park. I think they spent alot of time indoors--now they cannot get enough of being outside ! I do think a really special treat will work--we will see. Other then that--these dogs are truly amazing--they have brought so much to our family. We have all fallen in "doodlelove" even Bingo and Shelby!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am so happy that you have joined us...please keep us posted about your progress!
We'd love to see pictures, when you get a chance!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jac--I will. If I can ever figure out how to post pics I will-I'll bet my daughter can show me how! This site is so great--as a new doodle owner I have learned so much.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update--We are starting to make some progress on the coming when called thing. I have found they have a real weakness for salami. I think they are starting to catch on ! Thank you alll so much for your warm welcome ! We are finding the "doodle communty to be a great bunch of people and dogs ! We are going out of town for a few days-I will try and post some pics when we get home. I'm anxious to show off these beautiful dogs !

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
when you get back here is how to post us a pic!!

the pictures need hosted somewhere, I use www.imageshack.us cause its free!
so click there and then you need to find your pic and upload it with the browse function. then click on the pic and right click and go to properties and copy and paste the properties.

then go to your post and click on the IMG button, paste in the properties and then reclick on the IMG button

should work!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info about posting pics--I will work on that this week. I am happy to report that Lizzie and Louie are now coming when called--what smart doodles they are ! I am using the special treat advice. Also on the advice of a friend I am pairing it with shaking a box full of pennies when I call them in. Now all I have to do is shake the box--when they hear it they come running and get their special treat. Since they are often way in the back of the property it saves me having to yell like a nut ! I also have to tell you all--that after just a few months with us I now know they have really bonded with us. My husband and I were away for a few days-my daughter and Shelby stayed at our house with the dogs. When we came home Lizzie and Louie just went nuts !! They were so glad to see us--what a homecoming !! They wouldn't leave our sides for hours afterwards--it was really gratifying to feel the love ! I am sure this is a little insecurity on there part-since they came to us from the only other home they had ever known. However, due the original owners illness they had been kenneled alot--Our goal is to make them feel secure forever--I think it is starting to work !! Again--thanks for all your input--

·
Registered
853 Posts
That is such good news! It warms my heart to hear about how happy they were to see you. :D I'm glad they have found such a wonderful home.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Fabulous! You are doing a great job...and I am so happy to hear about your homecoming...you are right, these dogs are smart...and no matter what anyone says, I believe that they love too.
I like the pennies/can idea! I have only used the can for training them NOT do do something (so I am sure they won't respond for me! LOL) but I love the idea of using it to associate with a good treat and a reason to come running to you. Kudos!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts