Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone find that the hair between their doodle's paw pads gets really long? I am thinking that if I trim it down, it may cut back on the amount of dirt that's carried into the house.

How would I do this and what tools would I need?

Nicole

·
Registered
126 Posts
I cut Charlies pads - I used to have a small oster blade that did the pads but they dont make them any more I did find a nice little blade clipper it fits in the palm of my hand - it is a WAHL and it is purple - no numbers on it sorry but I bought it at Petco or Petsmart. Remember it is palm size. I also use it for his ears

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use blunt tip scissors to trim Hector's furry pads. If I don't he wipes out all over my wooden-floored house...very funny, by the way! :twisted: I was a groomer a long time ago and scissors is how we did it, so I'm stuck on that, but I'm sure clippers would be fine, too. Obviously either way you can cut the pads if the critter is too wiggly, so you have to get 'em used to it. Hector is happy if I sit on the floor and he lays between my spread out legs. As long as I keep the treats flowin', he's content to let me trim away!
Jenny

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scissors...clippers...I'll try both to see which is easier for me (Angel is a wiggle worm)!

Dream Dog Mom: Will the clippers cut her paw pads if she wiggles and I accidently get her? I've seen the palm sized one at our Petsmart.

Jenny...very funny about the floors! Angel's hair is getting long enough now for that to happen. :p I clipped her nails myself for the first time and made sure she had plenty to chew on (instead of my hands) I guess you're right, the same would be true for trimming hair! Are there different sized scissors?

Martha: went to Idog.biz website but couldn't find a section on grooming. Do you remember which link?

Thanks everyone!
Nicole

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nicole, I have never "cut" (as to make them bleed) the paws of a dog with clippers. If you are concerned be brave and put the clippers into the palm of your hand and check - thats what I did years ago when I learned how to cut cockers and poodles, my instructor wanted to show me they would'nt cut the skin. The only concern is how warm the clippers will get just touch your check with the flat end of course and it will tell you how the dog feels the heat. I never burned any either - the little clippers I told you about dont get hot at all.

I have also used scissors but I am afraid of those but the curved ones with the round tips are nice - I just work better with the clippers.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I use scissors and go slowly and carefully. OH i also do this when Max is really tired almost sleeping as he is more relaxed then

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
ok, do you all groom your doodles top to bottom all the time? you don't take them to the groomer?? I will check out the Idog.biz site and see what they have to say.

I have bathed Coco, but haven't attempted to clip or trim anything. Can those trimmers like my Dad has for his nose and ear hairs be used inside Coco's ears? :roll:

I am afraid to trim her nails, isn't there a chance of getting down into the quick and causing bleeding? I would hate to do that!! :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't tell you how excited I was when Hector turned out white/cream with white nails. It makes trimming them soooooo much easier becasue you can see the quick and you can tell how far you can safely trim. Darkly colored dogs, on the other hand do have nails that are hard to trim. But it's very do-able. Get your vet to show you, if your dog has dark nails, where to trim to, and then proceed cautiously. If you do make them bleed, which you should try very hard not to, there are products to help it stop, but it's best not to because the dog will get scared of his nails being trimmed! But YES, you can do it yourself, and the more you do it, the better you feel about it! :D I personally can't afford to take my dogs to the groomer all the time. I'm a stay at home mom with 3 kids, so I do it myself. Hector is 13 weeks now, and he's an f1 Doodle, and I'm not sure yet if his coat is really going to require any special grooming, but I don't think so. He looks like he'll probable be pretty wash and wear. :) But it certainly is o.k. for you to groom your dog yourself, AND you'll save yourself a ton of money! :)
Jenny

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I took Max once to be groomed...and wont' again hahhahhaa

I do all max's grooming here. he gets full treatment, shampoo with oatmeal in it, conditioner, towel dry, ears cleaned weekly, hand trim with haircutting sicissors underpart of beard, paws, tail,rear part and a slight blow dry as his HAIR coat is low maintenance.

I leave his eyes alone for now as his hair curls and fallls IN-Between both eyes hahahhaha thus he can see where he's going and i can see his soulful eyes

Peanut to-date doesn't need trimming (yet) she just got used to being brushed this week ...and has been blow dried since she was 9 wks old. By the way, max doesn't mind the blow dryer now since WATCHING peanut survive it. :wink:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I also do my own grooming - so far Charlie is low maintenance -like Max and Me - It goes easily. As for nails this is the first time I had an animal with dark nails and it is scarry and yes I cut the quick one day - poor boy forgave me - quick stop took care of the bleeding - I bought toe clippers that had a little shield on the one side - if you put the nail into the clipper the shield will help you stay away from the quick - do them every week and the quick keeps moving back. Anyone else use those toe clippers?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Dream Dog Mom said:
I also do my own grooming - so far Charlie is low maintenance -like Max and Me - It goes easily. As for nails this is the first time I had an animal with dark nails and it is scarry and yes I cut the quick one day - poor boy forgave me - quick stop took care of the bleeding - I bought toe clippers that had a little shield on the one side - if you put the nail into the clipper the shield will help you stay away from the quick - do them every week and the quick keeps moving back. Anyone else use those toe clippers?
what kind are they??? i'd like to get them as i am scared to death to do max and peanut's nails. Years ago i made my previous dogs bleed once and have never done nails since.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi,

I have the clippers with the nail guard. I bought them at Petsmart - the brand is Groomax. The first week I used them even with the guard I did cut one too short. I have since moved the nail guard part out of the way and don't depend on it. We cut Dante's nails once a week and since we do it so often I just take the tips off every week. Once you get used to lookng at black nails every week you can tell how short you can go.

Heather

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
How about dew claws??

I used to take my sheltie to the groomer about every 6-8 weeks....I bathed him myself in between.....but never trimmed him up, or clipped his nails.....I would have his nails trimmed only every so often in between the full groom....I was scared then and still am to do nails. I may try again.....as I, too, one time~ a long time ago~ on my Irish Setter, caused her to bleed and that was it for me!!! I 'll be brave and try again. It does save money to do all this myself and I really didn't like the "do" the groomer gave her the other day.

I have heard from home tonight and I think Coco was fed twice again at dinner.......I am having them walk her longer tomorrow and cut her amounts of food back some....I can't figure out why they can't get on the same page with that. :cry: :shock: :roll: :cry:
Everything else seems to be going fine and she is getting tons of attention, probably more than usual because I am gone....at least, more from the rest of the family. That's good for all of them.

So, I am still conflicted about how to clean/pluck, trim ear hairs....I no the pros and cons discussed in another topic area....but I haven't decideed what I think yet. How about dew claws??????? Have them removed??

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I also do Denver's nails once a week and just take the tips off.
My vet cut them when he was neutered and when he got home I
measured the length, that she had cut them to so now I cut them without fear.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My clippers don't have the name on them and I have had them a long time. clipping just a bit does work well and the quick will keep moving back - Good luck - it is nerve racking isnt it :oops:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Sue,

What a great idea to measure as soon as someone else clips them!!!! That is exactly what I am going to do!! Thanks for the tip!

Interesting that the quick will keep moving back further if you keep clipping them.....

I am going to be brave.
Thanks,

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also have the Groomax clippers from Petsmart with the shield guard and they work great. Angel also has clear nails and I can see the quick very easily. I trim her nails weekly (sometimes 2 times)! My vet showed me how to do it and it's a breeze as long as she has something to chew on while I'm doing it. The dew claws on her front feet are hard to trim and I will probably have them removed when she goes in for her spay because it isn't that much money since she's already under and it will end the possibility of them snagging later.

Angel also has a hair coat and I doubt that she'll ever need formal grooming. If you want to bath and dry her yourself but don't want to make the mess from water flying on the walls and wet towels to wash, look into a dog wash. Here, you have the option to use their products shampoos, towels, walk-in tub, dryer (they give you an apron to wear to keep you dry!) and you pay a fraction of a groomer's price. Then you leave the mess for them to clean up! Our dog wash is $20 to do it yourself or $25 to have them do it for you. BUT our Petco has a self-serve wash and is only $12 to do it yourself (they won't do it for you). I only plan on bathing her 1 time a month (unless, of course she makes a mess outside in the mud like some of your doodles pictures show!) And right now she still fits in our utility sink in our laundry room but it won't be long before she outgrows that! I have baby wipes to clean her inbetween baths...mostly for a quick clean up of paws if she makes a mess in the mulch or gets her belly dirty from splash up of wet grass or whatever!

All I need to learn how to do now is cut that fur between her paws! :?

About plucking ear hairs...I won't do anything that I don't have to do unless my vet tells me to! The less maintenance the better :!:

Nicole

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Nicole,

I know we have dog washes around.....and may end up using one. When the weather is warm and the water from the hose is warm....I can bathe her outside and then bring her in to groom.....I will look into the groomax clippers. I'm with you on the ears, though my vet did say to pull them, the hairs, that is. ....actually the vet didn't say that, the assistant did.
But I 'll see how it goes and whether she has any problems with it....I still think those ear/nose trimmers for men.....little battery operated ones, would work for the outer ones.....if need be.

I am going to learn to do her nails. As soon as I get back home. I miss her so much.....she has really taken my heart!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts