Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dear 8-month-old Mowgli is a bit of a klutz. He's been known to trip on stairs at top speed and even once missed the stairs completely with the left half of his body. He's had occasional encounters with doors and hallways when he gets really excited and runs around.

Is the adorable shaggy hair over his eyes a problem? Has anyone trimmed their doodle to improve eyesight? (I've asked Mowgli; he's not giving me a straight answer.)

Thanks.

--C

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Cindy,

I have trimmed the hair around our 3 month old puppies eyes. I do it when he is sleeping ( he's too squirmy to have scissors near his eyes when he's awake) and it's so nice to see the cute eyes he has. I never noticed whether or not the hair covering the eyes was bothering him but it was bothering me to look at it and imagine how hard it must be to see. I think you can certainly give trim them. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi!
Yes, you can trim the hair around their eyes. In fact, another doodle owner asked me this today.
I also try to do it when the dog is asleep, but usually they wake up, so I have my husband hold the head and I take the hair in my fingers (holding it like my fingers are sissors) I put the palm of my hand covering their eyes and clip the hair on top of my fingers. That way, if anyone gets cut, it's me!
I also use the rounded tip sissors, you can get them at PetEdge.com.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doodle Trim

Hi,
We purchased a dog hair trimmer last summer to trim our Zeytin's hair. Since then, my husband trims all over her body and face and he loves doing it. I suggested that he could get a grooming certificate and do it all the time, so Zeytin can grow some hair, but he loves to work with Zeytin only. I mean she is fine. She doesn't care, but she sure looks like two different doodles before and after the trim. One thing I realized that after the trim/shave she becomes so energetic it is unbeliable. She also can see very clearly, she doesn't miss anything! She hasn't had any trimming for four months, since it is winter, but I know that my husband counts down the days! I am taking her furry pictures before the hair is gone....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone! I love the help this website gives. I still have a difficult time believing that somebody's doodle sleeps soundly enough to have anything done to it, but maybe Mowgli's just a little odd. We'll definitely trim his hair about the eyes.

Awhile ago I posted a question about what color pups I'd get from a black lab mom and a light standard. The answer was a half and half litter. They were born Sunday, and sure enough half are black and half are light. (Cutest things I've ever seen. I really must sell all of them though, or I'll need to find a new house AND a new spouse!)

Thanks for the tips.

--C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts