Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello long term doodle owners. Please share with me what tricks your doodle caught on quick with?

Lincoln was already able to sit and lay down on command however the other night i was able to teach him to shake hands and we are pretty close to a good wave. This evening for a few minutes i worked with him on covering his eye ( i would love to have him do both but probably one easier?) He seemed to catch on but when he would try to do it his paw was more stretched out in front however i still gave him a good treat :)

I would like to keep it up and continue to add more however i want to make sure im starting with the easier ones. I think covering of the eyes might be a little hard for right now even though he did try after me covering his eye with his paw after 5 tries

Tomorrow we will add in to circle

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
How fun!
My dogs give kisses on command which is quite endearing yet simple to teach. Just tap your cheek, position yourself so they can reach, and say kiss each time they do it till they make the connection. Being lickers by nature, Labs usually catch on to this one quickly.
I've had them find specific toys and bring them to me, put a treat on/in the toy and when they find it keep stressing the name of the toy and when they bring it to you, praise like crazy. lol Once they're consistent with that toy, move on to another one and do the same.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MAN Lincoln will NOT gives "kisses"on command you have to say LICK! soo funny. Yeah he doesnt do to well with "go get your ball" however he also doesnt really do the command "COME" unless he is in the yard. ( he is afraid to be out there to long as he was out there lots in his former home supposibly

michele

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i know Toby s smart cuz he manages to get into everything..

more contructively he learned at 4 mos. to sit, down and stay..
then came NO , STOP and COME..

i thought he would take to fetch quick..yet he has yet to
show an interest in chasing the tennis ball :cry:

at the dog park he ll run with a group of golden retriever s
chasing a ball..but, he show more interest in the dog s rather
than the chase..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Toby sounds a bit like Jofi - only occasionally will she fetch and retrieve a ball outside - inside she'll happily do this although finds it far more fun to almost bring it back and then snatch it away again and then I'm the one playing chase :)

Tricks I've taught Jofi - she learned these quickly as a young pup:

'Say hello' (i.e. bark on command)
'Shake' (and I indicate which paw I'd like to shake - I can also get her to offer both paws, which is cute).
"High five" - she stands on her back legs and gives me a high five with both paws.
"Give me a hug" - she jumps up and gives me a hug.

Jofi also does - sit, come, stay, down (stay - working on improving this), jump, roll-over, turn-around - and with some encouragement she'll turn on and off the light by pressing the light-switch - I used a pointer-stick to teach her this. However, I have to stress that food is pretty much ALWAYS involved (apart from the standard sit and come) - she's VERY food motivated and if she knows that my pockets are empty it can be a bit tricky getting her to do what I want :oops:

I think the covering eye trick is meant to be quite tricky. Wave would probably be easier - once Lincoln knows how to shake - then it can be adapted into 'wave'. I should teach Jofi this - I've been a bit lazy lately.

Bark on command is a useful one as it is then possible to teach them 'sshh' on command - very useful :)

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver does
sit
stay
down
play dead
high five(the cats taught him that)seriously!!!
shake
wave
touch
My cat Blue does hide your eyes and we are teaching it to Denver

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
OMG Sue! That's hilarious! How does he wave!!??? I love the HIGH FIVE! hahahaha!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
lindamarie said:
OMG Sue! That's hilarious! How does he wave!!??? I love the HIGH FIVE! hahahaha!
Starts out side to side and ends up in a circle
Hubby taught him that one.............
The high five came from watching me ask one of my cats to do it and then Denver copied, he is very competitive
with them.............

·
Registered
68 Posts
At almost 13 weeks Vegas has the following down:
Stay
Sit
Get behind me
High Five
Touch
roll over
wipe your face (He wipes his face on a towel I have by the water bowl)
Come
Fetch
Leave it
Take it
I've started with names of objects (he almost has Wubba)
Paw (I don't want to call it shake, because I want shake to be when he shakes his whole body. This would be useful after a walk in the rain)
Settle
Spin

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao can do:
Sit
Stay
down
come (when she wants 2)
Hug
Shake (? we just started it, coming fast)
Take it
Leave it
Fetch
Settle
Get your ball

Beau:
Sit
Down
Come
Leave it
Ball
Frisbee
Toy (his choose)
Settle

I can't think of the others. But those they know very well. And learned really fast. LD and GD do well with learning things. Just keep up with the training. we go training everyday for about 15min. It is really nice the dogs like it because they know they get treats when they are done.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max: sit, heel, stay, lie down, stand
Out knows both GO OUT and OUT of kitchen
Lie down & stay for 10 min (no whining allowed hhahaaa)
shake
Touch ( touch a can, finger)
UP (looks up so i can trim his beard)
Circle
BYE ( how he comes running when i leave to go back in house)
TOOT TOOT of silver whistle or when i whistle...means Come
TOY
Drop it
Stay/Wait

pick it up......when i drop something when carrying laundry he will pick it up till we get downstairs (though if it's a sock i don't ask for help :lol: )

PEANUT: can do almost all of the above WHEN she wants too hahaa
and

she's learned much from watching me do this with Max so when I work with her, she just does it :shock:
but she doesn NOT stay for 10min alone in a room or a store
we say SHAKE AND hmm usually she lies down hahhahaa or stares at you

But she'll surprise us one day and all of a sudden do a new trick or something i was teaching Max
HOWEVER, at 18mos she won't shake still hahhaaa she "curtsies" instead hhahhaa

I never taught either one to play fetch...at 5 to 6mos old they did it on their own and brought it back
GD's don't need to be taught DROP IT they just do naturally
Max a LD was taught drop it hahhaaa as in i want my sock back :wink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
In addition to the regular obedience commands, which we're working on cementing now, Daisy can shake, fetch, roll over, and catch (a ball). We've tried the "find it" game, where we hide one of her toys, and even though she seems to understand the game and knows what she's looking for, she's not terribly good at it. She seems to use her eyes rather than her nose, so unless the object is in plain sight, she passes right by it.

Also, my kids and I built a jump for her in the backyard, and she'll go over it on command - especially if a treat is waiting for her on the other side :). I tend to use treats to reward "tricks" and praise to reward obedience.

S.

·
Registered
113 Posts
WOW! You all have some impressive, extensive lists of commands/tricks! Maybe I'll add "teaching cool commands/tricks to the dog" to the Summer To Do list for my DH and kids.
Cody knows:
sit
stay (though he doesn't stay long)
down
come
shake
outside toy (we tell him this when he wants to bring a tennis ball or stick into the house - those are not allowed inside; he drops whatever outside toy it is at the door before coming in)
drop it (this needs a TON of work, but we're getting there)
give (when we want him to release his grasp so we can take a toy/shoe/stick/whatever out of his mouth)
move (to get him to get out of the way when he's underfoot in the kitchen)
kisses (haven't done this in a while so when I asked yesterday, I got a stare LOL - guess we need to get back to this one)

I'd like to think he understands 'be good' which I tell him when I leave, but I can't confirm that that works because he is a relatively good dood.

So he knows a fair amount of commands, but not a ton of tricks. I think I'll try to get DH and kids to teach him 'hug' this week while they're home.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Horton can creep/crawl pretty good. I think he started doing that to creep after things he wasn't supposed to chew on, so we're been working on the creep as a trick. It's very funny!
We've also started on shake. He's doing ok but we need to work with him more.
Another we were going to try was sit pretty but he is so lanky and in that real dork stage now, I just don't think that'll be possible without him falling over backwards.
Leave it is another one,although it needs more work.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Okay...Max learned HIGH 5 today on 1st try and Peanut who KNOWS how to shake still wont at almost 19mos old hahhaaa she knows how to take a TREAT though :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts