Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to all who responded to my questions about UTI's.

Dixie does have one and she's been taking anitbiotics, but it's so hard to get it down her throat. Twice now she's appeared to have swallowed it and then I find the medicine crushed on the floor!

She's on cephalexen capsules twice a day.

Any help would be appreciated!

I was wondering if I could stick it in food, but thought if she crushed it in her mouth it might be harmful?

Gabrielle

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
food works great.

in cheese, banana and bread seems to work the best from my experience.
my current dogs love bread so thats what I use right now! Plus bread is sof and it just wraps right around the pill and they dont even know its there. :)

·
Registered
853 Posts
I wrap the pills in food too. Usually cheese. If it's something the dogs really like, they usually gulp it right down without chewing it.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Ah, well...no food helps us! My dogs have figured out what I am doing and refuse to eat when they are suspicious! They do the "hide the pill until they can spit it out" game too!
Two things have helped...but I basically have to get assertive with them and let them know that they have no choice (along with the tricks! LOL)
1) I coat the pill in honey and then put it on top of a spoon with honey coating it...they lick the honey and swallow it without thinking of the pill...then they get to continue licking the spoon.
2) I cut the pills up with a pill cutter, and I put one tiny piece at a time in part of a hotdog. Then I give a good hotdog piece, and a pill hotdog piece, and then another good one...really fast...so that the dogs quickly eats them to get them before the other dogs can! It takes a lot of time when you have big pills and can be bad for weight gain if you are not careful...but it is that or not have them take a pill...at least for us.

·
Registered
15 Posts
chloe has a uti right now, and i wrap up her pill in 1/2 piece of deli meat. she has 2 pills, so i usually give her 1/2 with a pill 1/2 without, and then another 1/2 with the 2nd pill- you know those doodles are pretty smart!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
how to give pills

One of the best ways I've found to give pills is to put them in cream cheese. They love the flavor. Even puppies (once they get a taste). If I have to give pills to puppies I cut them down with a pill splitter and put them in the cream cheese. It works well because its soft and tasty. Even my dogs who aren't sick come running when I get out the cream cheese. They know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts