Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that lots of treats aren't great for a puppy, but I didn't know what kind of treats do people use? My parents have used the same treats for years. With so many new types on the market, and my want to feed my puppy the right types of foods, what would people suggest?

G

·
I buy the dried chicken jerky from Sam's club. It's made by Waggin Train. It's chicken breast fillet and natural flavoring only. I am sure you can buy it elsewhere in a smaller bag.

G

·
aack, just saw when reading the label that it is made in China. Well, I'm not too thrilled about that! :roll:
I also like to give her cubes of cheese that come in a large package at Sam's. She likes pepper jack over plain cheddar :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we don't use treats or rather store bought ones.

once in a great while i'll give tiny pieces of chicken or cheese or bologna.
wish i could help but hahhaha they train without treats

·
Registered
160 Posts
The treats that we are using for everyday stuff and PuppyK are freeze dried baby shrimp, freeze dried chicken, freeze dried liver, cheese sticks and an all natural no wheat kibble. The instructor said that we needed to have at least 5 different kinds. Oops, I forgot that I just bought these sweet potato "fries" that are dehydrated and kind of leathery but 100% sweet potato. I feed him a raw diet for his meals. :shock: Matey loves it all, but I think that he would be happy to eat rocks and mulch too!

·
Registered
273 Posts
We also use chicken and cheese for treats with Dante. The only two store bought treats I use for training are Zukes mini naturals - they come in several flavors and are very tiny and moist, and pieces of Canidae snap biscuits. Neither of these treats can be bought at mainstream stores and must be purchased over the internet or at specialty pet food stores.

Heather

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I forgot that treats could be as "plain" as "human food!" Certainly makes buying treats less of an expense! Thanks for the good ideas!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We also use the Zukes tiny treats, Charlie Bears, gold fish crackers, string cheese, Dick Van Patten chicken or beef stick cut into tiny cubes, tiny pieces of hot dogs (can be turkey). Tanner was clicker trained which meant we used a lot of treats in the beginning.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I use the occasional bone, bully sticks rarely, Health Pro biscuits and gravy (apple/oatmeal & peanut butter) in their kongs with kibble. They also get the Health pro treats at night in bed, and then sometimes as a bribe when they just won't come inside! :wink:

G

·
Gene, to get them to come inside EVERY time:
Get some bells. Jingle the bells and have an extra special treat ready for them. Deli roast beef is a good one, give them just a small piece EVERY time you jingle the bell and say 'treat' or 'roast beef' or any word you want. I used cheese cubes because we always have them in the fridge and Bella loves them. Do it a few times a day and after about a week of doing this, they will knock you over trying to get in when you ring the bells. I now only ring the bells maybe once a week when I absolutely HAVE to get her in immediately. She flies from whatever she is doing and if I use the bells she does still get a treat. It is great for when you don't want them wet and muddy from the rain, but they still need to go outside to pee. Or when you have to leave for work and need them inside quickly.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sessa, you make dog training and treats sound so fun and interesting! Well when you put it like that........

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the ideas!!!

Do any of you use any treats for non-training? I've read that a fun game to play is to hide a treat in the house and have the puppy find it.

I've seen Greenies around. I'm not sure what they are, or how they are.

Also, Striker's a lazy eater-- He won't chew a bone to save his life. He doesn't destroy anything because he's torn it apart... so we've never had bones or rawhide, so I'm slightly confused on the difference, and what are the best kinds.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Vanessa
I love your treat scale I use my own version
for Denver, daily.
Denver has always been food trained and always will.
It works for us and he does not need to get much at all .
One strip of turkey bacon goes a long way as it( "I will do what ever you want for that kind of treat Mom")can be broken into very small pieces. I use it for more serious training
like when he is off leash and he needs to stay by my side
no matter what dog etc is around. Other treats for fun stuff.

G

·
Grreenies story:
Ok, intestinal blockages and choking incidents were attributed to Greenies a few years ago:
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/02/14/da ... .dogtreat/

At the dog show I went to recently, there was a table with a lady giving Greenies samples away for free. I asked her about the 'new' version and she said they were now more easily digestible...BUT she did say that the dogs that had issues in the past just did not know how to eat a treat. So, silly me, goes on my way thinking, well MY dog knows how to eat a treat. :roll: And I gave Bella the greenie and she proceeded to eat and swallow it in seconds :roll: The exact thing a dog is not supposed to do. Here is a good article about it:
http://asankadogs.blogspot.com/2006/02/ ... -your.html

and here is the website for new and improved Greenies:
http://www.greenies.com/en_US/products_ ... eeding.asp

Notice this statement:
ATTENTION: As with any edible product, monitor your dog to ensure the treat is adequately chewed. Gulping any item can be harmful or even fatal to a dog.
:roll:

Oh yes lets just all 'monitor' our dog as he gulps down a Greenie...and then what? Jump down his throat to get it?

So, although Bella was just fine, no more greenies for her.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Pre food allergies, we gave Dexter greenies. We got free samples at the Pet Expo last year. Dexter is pretty good with not swallowing treats whole so he did well with them. Too bad he can't have them anymore...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie with Max's poodle tummy he is slowly outgrowing we dont' use treats either
but when we have steak , chicken etc we save some for him and peanut.
They also get a tad of peanutbutter on a spoon or in a kong.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts