Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading Maggies problem not feeling well, you talked about treats. I had given my dog rawhide but most of you feel they are not all that good for them - What treats do you recommend - I would like to leave some for Charlie when I board him next week.

He loves Cheese and Vanilla Pizelles - do you see any problems with those? Charlie and Cat (my cats name) go insane over the pizelles as well as I do too :p - just the vanilla ones though.

Juanita

·
Registered
77 Posts
yum! pizzelles sound good to ME!

Maggie is feeling much better today, and I have only done limited research on rawhides. my biggest fear is choking or swallowing a large piece of them. She can take a huge rawhide bone and work it for about 10 minutes and it is GONE. She is a FAST chewer! kinda freaky.

anyway, I feed her Iams puppy dog biscuits and she likes those a lot. she isn't into Kongs, no matter what I stuff inside of them. And that brings up a question for people who use a Kong and freeze yogurt or peanut butter, etc. in them...isn't it really messy when the stuff starts to melt? I have been afraid to try the freezing thing because I don't want to come home to a huge mess!

Maggie's favorite treat is american cheese. we use it to train her and remind her of her tricks (sit, touch, shake, down, speak, etc). Our breeder had kept Maggie for a week when she was only about 13 weeks old and had gotten her hooked on american cheese.

now sometimes that is the ONLY way I can get her to kennel up at night. i lay a path of cheese pieces to the laundry room. otherwise I'm chasing her around the living room for an hour! at midnight that is not a pretty sight!

The other thing Maggie likes is cheerios; we tend to drop them when we are eating breakfast and she happily eats them off the floor. does anyone know if cheerios (or any cereal for that matter) are bad for dogs?

Christine

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i used Canidae treats for my doodles. I also use cheese in the past.

Right now Max doesn't get any treats for training and is doing great without them. Peanut is getting treats for certain things. in the beginning i use them here and there and taper them off to a 50/50 chance of one and work towards the only treat they get is my love and praise. for me this works well.

I also am training both Max and peanut together at the same time which works better than one on one ....go figure!

I love when i feed Peanut 12wksld, she sits now waits for me to say OK then eats. Max 8mos old, patiently sits and then waits for his food never touching peanut's food at all. :shock: he too doesn't eat till i say ok.
why do i do this??? well when i dropped 100 motrin pills onthe floor, Max just sat there watching me pick them up and didn't move cause mom did not say OK. i also do not want a doodle jumping on me when i feed them, walk in the door etc. I call it more of a "respect " training and also safety training.

OH kongs are great but max was 6.5 mos old before he really liked it.
NYLON bones are good too. kongs arent messy as you'll find your doodle will eat the treat inside before it has time to hit the floor.

Gald to hear Maggie is feeling better!!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Christine,
Happy to hear about Maggie. Daisy's favorites are Peanut butter lined Kong filled with Cheerios. Helps me get through grooming. :wink: .

I started using cheerios because well she likes them too, And I noticed that alot of the commercial dog treats had very small servings per day. Tiny Cheerios last longer and I can't see the harm of some oats.

She also likes a little fruit like banana and apple. She chews on carrots too but doesn't really swallow them.

Of course she likes bully sticks and hoofs and old human shoes for chewing but the bully sticks get expensive at $3 a pop and the hoofs and shoes that she likes, really, really, really stink.

Oh yeah, she also loves my kids art work and pencils. I believe she has a taste for fine art.

G

·
I give Boyd cheese when we are walking and working on "heel." I buy the low fat string cheese and slice it into rounds. He also gets cheerios and loves them. As a special treat he'll get a liver square now and again (stinky) and I found these rice and chicken balls at PetSmart (expensive). Oh, I also found (at PetSmart) these smoked chicken rounds that he loves. Those are really good for him b/c they are only chicken - no additives, no nothing. And, while I'm dishing, I might as well admit that I made Boyd homemade dog biscuits and he loves them. (Those are worthy of slinking into the next room to digest!)

And, finally, on very special occassions he will get one scrambled egg or some poached chicken! :lol:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had forgotten about Cheerios - they would be much cheaper than some of the doggie treats so I think I will stick to pizelles , cheese and cheerios.

thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts