Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG I just saw Kirby's eyes get so big as a few minutes ago. Jerry took Dex upstairs and I gave Kirby a Jumbone (left over from Dexter since he can't eat them w/his allergies). Well Kirby did a sit, stay, come, sit, and down for this treat.

We took them both back to Petsmart tonight. Kirby was a nut again - up on his hind legs for every dog and many people. We spoke the trainer there and she noticed that he was drooling continuously and she said it seems he is just so overly excited and that we should continue to bring him to many places (including the dog park) before trying a class. Plus she said fixing him (next week thank goodness) will calm him down around other dogs.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Again .... JERRYCAM!!! ...check with Marc I can nag with the best of them :roll:

Kirby sounds like he is enjoying his new forever family so much! :D

What do you say Leslie ... the difference between a pup and "grown" dog ... besides the obvious. I'm thinking if we ever get another doodle (wwwwwwaaaaayyyyy down road!) it should be a rescue/rehome. Your thoughts please. :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you say Leslie ... the difference between a pup and "grown" dog ... besides the obvious
It's tough to say too much after just 1 week. Kirby has been SO good with some things: he hasn't stolen anything, he hasn't chewed on anything but toys, no potty accidents in the house, you say "kennel up kirby" and he goes into his crate with very little fight, he calms down quickly, he sleeps through the night.

Downsides: due to his lack of socialization, he's crazy in public and since he's bigger, he's harder to control; there is this sorting out of dominance that is happening - I think Kirby thinks he's already sorted it out and is dominant, but I think Dexter isn't so sure about this so we're still having a few moderate scuffles (where we had to break them up because it got to be too much). I can't wait until Kirby is fixed so we can better figure things out.

I'll bring the camera next time we go to Petsmart :) Tonight it's off to the park. Dex will go to the dog park area while we take turns walking Kiby around the rest of the park.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Glad to hear things are going pretty well with Dex and Kirby - hopefully fixing will help some of the dominance in Kirby - giving them both alone time with mommy/daddy is good -I'm sure Dexter really needs that. We always give AB xtra alone time when she has guests staying over and it seems to help

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
leslie.......wondering how it will go at the dog park with Kirby up on his hind legs?Please take pics :wink:

I sure hope the dominance issue is sorted out soon, sorry to hear you're still going through that. And WOW he goes EASILY INTO the crate :shock: awesome! :D

Give Dex and Kirby some hugs from all of us ...thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts