Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are driving to Canada on Saturday and it will be a 12 hour drive. We've taken Kenai for car rides, and sometimes she gets car sick. She also salivates a lot, which I know is stress related.

Obviously we will be taking many breaks on our drive, but what is the best way to help her cope with this long day? I've heard that some people give their dog a mild sedative, or pepto. I'm just looking for ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, Cathi...good luck...it can be so hard...all of our dogs (except for Bayley) get car sick and they are miserable. They do out grow the throwing up phase, but still would rather not go in a car.

My vet told me about Hyland's Motion Sickness pills for humans (in a tiny white bottle, hard to see but sold almost everywhere...often in the holistic stuff.) I put one in my dog's mouth about 15-20 min before we go...it helps, but if the road is winding you will still have sick pups!

What we have found is that they are sick for the first 2-3 hours, then they get used to it and settle down and sleep.

Don't feed Kenai before you go, but be sure to have plenty of water...you cuold also get those solar car fans to keep her cool in her crate or in the back seat. (Especially a good idea if you ever break down and don't have the air conditioner...especially in these ungodly hot temps!)

You just might find that this long trip will help her get over motion sickness! I hope so.

Have fun!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts