Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Molly for approx 5 weeks now. She is 14 weeks old.

I am so proud to say that we have taught her to sit, lay down and shes learning shake or paw right now. My favorite command is stay. She used to run me over when I put food in her dish so I taught her to sit and stay.. Then I say go get it and she runs for her food. Well, I can even put a treat at her paw and say stay and she wont budge until I say go get it! I can even back away and she wont touch it! She has been so easy to train so far. Weve been repeating repeating repeating and using very small bits of dog treats. We are looking to keep teaching her as she is young.. What tricks or commands are easy that we can work on. Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant even tell you how much I want to share!!

Not only can I not find the cord to download my camera after my move, BUT we had a party here on Tuesday (my sisters husband got back from Afghanistan) and I woke up the next morning to the pouring rain when I realized I had left my camera outside!!!!!! So it may be a while :( She a cutie though!!

sessa35 said:
WELCOME!!
Good for you!!
Keep at it too--you are right, an early start is a jump start (we did the same with Mija and at 14mnths she is AWESOME!!)...they really are little smart sponges just soaking up anything you throw at them....

try targeting....i.e.--lay down "in your spot" or "in your bed"....targeting the hand---i.e. peanut butter in your palm to get the pup to follow you around close (good precursor to walks on leash/recall/heel...)....

these are just a few---it sounds like you've already got a GREAT head start!!

P.S. POST pics please---we wanna see your doodle!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Amy......nice to meet you and Molly. I Love how little doodle puppies learn so quickly and eager to please. keep up the great work. later on you'll be glad you started so early.

and Sam's Club and Walmart have good deals on cameras :wink: :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks. I let it dry out and now it works as a point and shoot. I cant zoom at all or the picture is blurry, but at least all my pictures of molly are there and safe. Now I just have to buy the darn cord :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
just pull your memory card and bring it to CVS or Walgreens, they can burn them to a disc for you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wfin73 said:
just pull your memory card and bring it to CVS or Walgreens, they can burn them to a disc for you!
OMG ReallY! Thats AWESOME! I may do that tomorrow!! THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Teach her to shake with left or right, the way you do it is facing her tell her "left" then take HER left paw keep doing this until she gets it a few days maybe. Then teach her "right" do the same just make sure you do her left and right not yours. :wink:

This make them look extremely smart. Once they get the words left and right then you can add "Show me your left" "Show me your right" Then they really look smart, but they are only really acting on the word left and right. Gracielou knows left and right, shake, she prays (this one is easy to teach) she crawls like a solider, she rolls over both ways, if I put her in a stay she won't touch her food until I give her the release word I taught her. (this doesn't sound like a big deal but she is a lab and a real chow hound) so food is her life!!! :lol: She can catch the ball in her mouth when I throw it up in the air. She can high five also. Not bragging just giving you some more ideas.

If you have any share with us please.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Nothing wrong with bragging Linda
Be proud and brag all you want just shows that you are
a loving Mommy.
Denver knows left and right as well and he can high five
and he can crawl but we have not got the bow yet, working
on it. Oh yeah if you are drowning Denver will go and get you out of the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's my boy and I will never stop bragging about Colorado!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome Amy & Molly, it's great what you are teach Molly at such a young age. Keep up the good work.

I am very proud of Tegan also, we started her in formal training at 11 weeks old. She has completed beginner, intermediate and advanced. She does sit/stay, down/stay, stand/stay, shakes a paw, high five, roll over, play dead, watch me, wait, heel, let's go, she comes when called, leave it, take it, drop it, by me. I can also place a treat on her paw, tell her to leave it and she will until I say take it. I have also taught her to sit at the kerb before we cross the road and she waits at the door until we go through. We are now trying to teach her "quiet, shh shh" when another dog barks outside or someone passes by the house, but it's a long slow process.

Her best 2 commands as far as I'm concerned are when we are out walking and I let her off leash, even if she's chasing a rabbit she will come to me immediately and sit in front of me when I call "Tegan come". If she veers off the path in a different direction I tell her "this way" and she comes right back to me. She also knows "leash on" and runs up so I can put the leash on.

The only problem I have always had is she still pulls on the leash. I have taught her "loose" for loose leash walking and she knows what it means, she will do it until I tell her "good loose" and treat her, then she goes back to pulling.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My favorite command is "stay". We practice this command several times a day during meal times. I will tell Angel (7 mos.) "bed" and treat her when she goes to her bed in the kitchen (that's her on her bed in the pic). I tell her to "stay" and I'll get up from the table to treat her randomly throughout our meals. She will stay on her bed during our entire meal. It's nice because before (just as soon as she was tall enough) she would help herself to my kids' food off their plates. :evil:

Now... when she sees us sit down at the table she goes to her bed without being asked. :D

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I love to hear about how quickly these dogs learn. It's so advantageous to teach them early and make them into smart well behaved animals for everyone to be around.

Kudos to all of you for being responsible pet parents. I think that is the number one thing that keeps me coming back here. I just hate when people don't take the time to do that and then blame the dog for being difficult. You're all wonderful and I thank you for your babies who can't say the words themselves.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Tink said:
I love to hear about how quickly these dogs learn. It's so advantageous to teach them early and make them into smart well behaved animals for everyone to be around.

Kudos to all of you for being responsible pet parents. I think that is the number one thing that keeps me coming back here. I just hate when people don't take the time to do that and then blame the dog for being difficult. You're all wonderful and I thank you for your babies who can't say the words themselves.
That was very kind and people love to get a pat on the back
once in a while(I know that I do) So thank you very much for
such nice words .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts