Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sam is now 3 months and yesterday, I left him at home all day while I was at work. I had a dog minder come in the middle of the day to play with him and feed him. When I got home last night, I started his "training regime" and asked him to come. He just looked at me and sat down. I thought he might have been protesting at my not being home. He was getting better at coming to me when I called him. Is he just being a willfull doodle? My first thought was to wonder what the minder did with him during the day.

He's been very good with the "sit" command. Yesterday, at the start of our training, it was as if I hadn't taught him anything. He got going after a while.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? Perhaps he's getting bored with training. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Recall or the "Come Command " is one of the hardest to teach
and your puppy is so young however, if you keep up all your
good work everyday, it will pay off and you will be surprised at
how much he really did learn when you thought he was not getting it........

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
he's just a baby give him time.......they sometimes KNOW what you want but well do any of us do everything we're asked all the time? :wink:

persistence and patience with love pays off
peanut who we thought was the biggest immature airhead proved us wrong at 11mos old

G

·
Maya is 8 mos old and still does this. I swear there are days that I think I am speaking French to her. I say sit she lays down. I say stay she runs around like a monkey. Just be patient. If Maya isn't listening I do not reward her. I stop the training and ignore her for a few minutes and then try again. I repeat this process until she does what is asked. Just stick with the training. I am assured that this puppy stage will pass!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie used to give me that look that meant he thought the whole exercise was stupid and a waste of our time. Why sit, stay, come when we could be biting and wrestling?? Try keeping your training sessions short and very rewarding.

I agree COME is a hard command. How does he do with SIT, DOWN and STAND? Are you trying STAY and then for more extended times? At our class, we would do COME after an extended STAY. By then the dogs were more than ready to get up and COME.

Deb

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can relate to the "stupid and waste of our time" look. Training sessions are never more than about 5 min. SIT and DOWN are going quite well. Sam responds more to hand signals now than my voice command. STAY is proving to be a BIG challenge. I suspect he knows it and plays a little game during training. I haven't done STAND officially but am trying to make him stay put until I release him. I'm trying to time my command till just when I think he's about to become upwardly mobile again.

Thanks for all your advice. Friends and people who know about dogs have seen him and said he's really quite well-behaved and advanced for his age. I'm learning not to set the bar too high. :oops:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Sam is a little young to get it all the time. Most dog trainers will tell you that 6 months is a good age for them to "get it" all the time, and then you have the times where I swear it's "talk to the paw". Cinnamon is 3 yrs old and she still has her moments. I have noticed that when it counts, out in public and so on, she listens better than at home. When we're just practicing, it's "What?"

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter is 18 mos old and still pretends to not hear what I say 25% of the time :) It just takes time and repetition.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maya is 8 mos old and still does this. I swear there are days that I think I am speaking French to her. I say sit she lays down. I say stay she runs around like a monkey.
Oh this is so true!!!

At 6 months, Wes can do all the tricks including play dead and an extended stay where we can even walk out of the room. But once in a while, he looks at us like "You've got to be kidding" or with big eyes: :shock: "I have no idea what you're saying."

Thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Our newly-adopted labradoodle is about 18 months as well ... does have a willful streak that is probably accentuated by adolescence.

More and more training can remedy that problem ... but the timing of your difficulty after the dog minder visit might be significant. If the dog becomes confused as to who "da man" is, the question of "why should I listen to you" might become more pressing.

With our Willow, I am having to use some of the tricks to establish dominance and pack leadership (eating before she eats, always walking in and out of doors before she does) to get across the nature of things. She was with the breeder for a while before she came home with us (was rehomed after spending the better part of a year with her original family) and the breeder is a pretty hard act to follow.

But training, patience are both important. It is these moments of individuality that are the most precious -- and one of the things that I miss most about my border collie.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cinsmom said:
...and then you have the times where I swear it's "talk to the paw". ...When we're just practicing, it's "What?"
Hehehehe :lol: That's such a great way to describe the look that Sam gives me some times. "Talk to the paw"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. He's getting a visit from the dog minder again today and I'll see how he is this evening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts