Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to the Humane Society Orientation for beginning OB training last night and it was a real eye opener :shock: I could not believe how much people DON'T know about dogs before they get one :shock: judging from the questions asked. One of the trainers gave a clicker demo using a dog randomly selected from the adoptable dogs. As I watched the watchers watching :) I also listened to the comments folks were making and it became clear to me the future of DOGS is in trouble if some kind of animal training/sense is not introduced to kids at the elementary school level (because these adults had NO CLUE). I have encouraged folks here with kids to include them in the training ritual in the past and believe even more so that it's mandatory to avoid a crisis. Dogs running amok with humans trailing behind yelling and screaming at the dog, hooking it up to a leash and dragging it away is no longer acceptable. I feel the answer is in the education of the kids to respect animal rights (using positive reinforcement not punishment). The good news is that almost all the dogs in Abby's class are under 1 year of age. The bad news is that Abby goes bonkers around other dogs. This has been my most challenging behavior mod with her. I intend to tire her out a bit before class on tuesday so her trainer (my wife) will have a better chance of controlling her. I'm also "cooking" some liver and chicken treats (VERY EFFECTIVE) for the occasion. There was a little Caesar Milan Bashing (punishment training) going on which I felt was uncalled for. The Paul Owens/Karn Pryor methods are what they will be using :D We'll let you know how it's going after the first lesson
[/URL][/img]
Eat your heart out Maybelline! My Lashes are my own!!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
YOU"RE COOKING MEAT :shock: hahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i lov it!!

and MTD, max does the same thing at class, he sees all these puppies and gets an instant turbocharged perm! hhahaaaaaa

i have found two things that helps

1. like you mentioned, make sure excess energy is released

2. Arrive early to class as i make max sit or lie down for 15min watching all others then arrive , for some reason it helps.

3. a TASTY treat like chicken or liver or steak does HOLD THEIR attention much better

Good luck!! and i too have a training class using the positive reinforcement method of training, works wonders ifyou ask me :D

PS i can't wait to hear about Abby's next class with cooked meat treats :wink: :D

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
mtd885 said:
it became clear to me the future of DOGS is in trouble if some kind of animal training/sense is not introduced to kids at the elementary school level (because these adults had NO CLUE). I have encouraged folks here with kids to include them in the training ritual in the past and believe even more so that it's mandatory to avoid a crisis. . I feel the answer is in the education of the kids to respect animal rights (using positive reinforcement not punishment). The good news is that almost all the dogs in Abby's class are under 1 year of age. The bad news is that Abby goes bonkers around other dogs. This has been my most challenging behavior mod with her.
If you feel that strongly about "mandatory" education for kids regardign animals, maybe you should start working on getting legislation passed on it.
It's obvious with all the strays that run around, that not everyone has the same level of concern or education in how to care for animals, but I dont think you can lump everyone who has a dog with some behavior issues into that group. There are some, like You, who love their animals and want to have a well behaved animal, but the animal has different ideas and "acts out" around other dogs or people.
The good thing is these people at least were at the session and hopefully will come back and learn something
I love Annabelle more than anything and do my best to have a well behaved furbaby, but there are times she gets over excited, it is part of their nature and when it happens, I just work to try to calm her down the best I can :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mary: Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I thought. I am VERY GLAD the turnout was so good :D It just surprised me how many people JUMP into dog ownership/responsibility without doing the research :shock: or having any background with pets. That's why I think that animal behavior/relationships etc should be part of the elementary school process and YES if ABBY does get her Therapy/Service Cert she will visit schools as part of MY committment to that goal. I now have better understanding of why so many people approach me and Abby to comment on how well she's behaving!
Annmarie: Can you say LEFTOVERS :lol: I make the best treats! Even Abby in a state of jubilation will not turn these suckers down!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
MTD...you can come here and COOK Anytime your heart desires hhahhaaa
my family and my doodles will eagerly await! just NO steak tartar please :wink:

and Mary, sometimes there are people who get a dog/puppy with NO clue but i commend them if they make it to a training class cause they're trying
:D :D :D

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
MaxandMe said:
and Mary, sometimes there are people who get a dog/puppy with NO clue but i commend them if they make it to a training class cause they're trying
:D :D :D
annabelles mom said:
The good thing is these people at least were at the session and hopefully will come back and learn something
I agree 100% :D

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can come here and COOK Anytime your heart desires

I don't know about that I'm pretty fussy about my Sabatier Knives and All Clad cookware...BAM :shock:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
mtd885 said:
you can come here and COOK Anytime your heart desires

I don't know about that I'm pretty fussy about my Sabatier Knives and All Clad cookware...BAM :shock:
just bring them over then hhahaaaaaaaaaaaaa
OH you need an apron too?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
APRON :shock: HELL NO! That's where the RAW comes in...hahahahahaha :wink: :oops:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OMG i started choking i was laughing so hard at that one!
hahhaaaaaaaaaaa

high 5! good one! hahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
985 Posts
mtd885 said:
You'd cry if you could see my Sabatier knives, then. One of 'em has a chunk out of the handle. My small paring knife got dropped in the water in the boat slip when my son was a teenager; he'd taken it out there to filet some fish he'd just caught. When I told him how much it would cost to replace it he did some serious looking with a big magnet and found it!

People are always commenting on how good Chouette is, too, although she doesn't have nearly the discipline that it sounds as though Abby has. But as you said, I don't think most people bother to train their dogs at all. They're just supposed to come automatically, I guess.

Coming from an elementary school background as a retired school psychologist, I don't know where you'd fit dog training into an already overtaxed curriculum, although it's certainly a nice thought. I sat my granddaughter down before Chou came and watched Sarah Wilson's training video, that came with "My Smart Puppy," with her. It made a huge difference.

Leslie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts