Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering sending my 11 month old Labradoodle to a dog training program run through our State's womens correctional facility. He would have to be away from home for 4 weeks. I have heard good things about this program but I am wondering if I will be traumatizing our dog if I send him away from home for a month. We are not having any luck teaching him NOT to jump up, play rough, steal things off of countertops, chew and dig. Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Have you tried taking him to training classes yourself? That way he would learn to obey you. Or it might be worth it to hire a private trainer to work with you and the dog.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Jac would be a good one to answer this one since her dogs went thru Doggie Bootcamp. She had great success with that and does not regret it at all. I'm not sure how long her dogs were at the camp though, I don't think it was a month. You might look around for another option. I'd for sure talk with Jac first, she'd be more than happy to help :)

G

·
Unless YOU also get trained at the same time, your dog will most likely switch back to his old ways after being home for a while. A dog learns how to behave thru your leadership. They are so smart, they know who is capable of enforcing the rules & will test the limits & out wit you if you are not a proper leader. I agree that getting a private trainer is way to do it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am prettty sure the trainer Jac went to trained the dogs, and her. I know that she doesnt regret sending them.
TM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts