Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. This doesn't happen too often but I want some advice. I'm in the middle of house training and when I catch my puppy getting ready to pee ( or sometimes in the middle of peeing) I very sternly say NO! BAD! a couple of times and take him outside. When I catch him in the act he stops so I know I've gotten his attention, but he keeps waging his tale and acts like he thinks I am playing. Am I getting it across to him that I am mad and this is not good to do? What might be more effective?

2. My aunt just got a lab puppy and she said her breader said to only dees her puppy adult dog food.. Something about puppy food causing bone problems-extra calcification or something like that... Anyone heard of this.. Right now I'm feeding him IAMS large breed, which is what my breeder said to feed him... But her lab breader said thats exactly what not to feed him.. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can't answer number 2 but, when catching your puppy "in the act", approach your puppy quickly and say "outside"! (we use that command to tell the dogs it's time to potty...whatever you want to use). Grab the dog swiftly (pick them up if you can) and place them outside. When they do their business (you need to remain there so you can watch them), give them TONS of praise and say "good outside"! (in an overly happy tone). Let the pup romp for a few minutes before taking him back in.
Also, try taking your pup out every 15 minutes or so (depends on how old the dog is). It take my 4 month old pup out every 45 minutes. But this is what we've worked up to....just to prevent any accidents.
Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts