Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has probably been covered before, but does anyone have any suggestions on "durable" sqeaky toys? after training class at petsmart each week, we try a new toy. jonah has a preference of stuffed toys with squeakers, but within 24 hours, he's got a hole in it and the stuffing out of it. i figure thats not good for old tender belly, but the look he gives me is heartbreaking :cry: . he has a kong (doesn't hold the interest long), nylon rope (only for the tug of war mood), and a chew bone, plus miscelaneous "i can't be bothered with those" toys. with the infinite wisdom on this forum, i'm sure someone has some ideas :?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
A Yorkie

Moviestar you are hilarious. I fell off my chair with that answer.
Denver has nine cats to play with and they don't squeak, just hiss and growl. I buy the rubber hotdog and hamburger squeaky toys, Denver loves them.

Blueteal

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks good, he does like that ripping sound. especially paper! just found out a few minutes ago....we don't care for bar soap! kids :roll:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have found that plastic soda, water and hawaiian punch bottles worst as great toys with supervision and ear plugs for us humans.

max manages to tear holes in the tennis balls AND always finds the squeaker which mom then puts in her mouth hhahahha squeaking it every so often ....my way of being a doodle for a moment.

Petsmart: KONGS are great. also the ball you put treats inside work well too.
Target: thick round rubber teething ring? looks like one and sometimes i put it in fridge and/or a tad of peanutbutter on it.

We do have a larger TY plush beanie called his "baby" that for some reason he won't tear or rip---go figure! my 18yr old daughter wants it replaced lol---it was hers. AND i did offer it back but for some reason she refused :shock:

The other toy is at Petsmart. it's made of canvass with a circle rope at the end and fire hydrant picture. it's lasted a month and still holding up.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You guys are sooooooo funny! :lol: 8)
We have found that the only durable toys are the ones my dogs don't like! Otherwise, all are shredded and the squeaker is out in no time. Still, I have found some pretty durable ones (and inexpensive) at www.petedge.com they also have a bunch of great supplies.
I have seen, but not yet tried, a toy that "hides" other smaller toys inside, like squirrels in a tree, bees in a hive, etc. Here is the link, but you can get most of them everywhere: https://secure15.nexternal.com/shared/S ... oducts.asp

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not really a toy but it keeps Shelby (my Granddog) busy for hours. It is a very very hard bone with peanut butter flavored stuff in the center. She works forever to get the stuff in the middle out and when she finally does she still chews on the bone. She has a bunch of them and still plays with them. She is a rottweiler/great dane mix with a really powerfull jaw--she can destroy just about anything else! PetCo carries them. However my Doodles don't get quite as excited about them after the peanut butter is gone! ---Kathy

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ok..wouldn't everyone agree Doodles love all the things we don't think of as toys? like socks, leaves, tiny sticks,and oh yeah the infamous empty plastic bottles--- hahhahaha reminds me when my kids were small and the only way to cook dinner with a 2,4&6yr old was to let them phiharmonically play with pots and pans and wooden spoons---best toys of all (one NOT for sale).

·
Registered
294 Posts
we buy Otto stuffed toys from the charity shops which last him a couple of hours, we are doing a transatlantic cruise in three weeks so we are collecting toys ready to take with otto to the kennals this will stop him from getting bored I hope, he also has a large plastic ball that makes noises which he likes, but gets annoyed with it as it is too big for him to chew

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the great ideas....right now he's settleing for his own tail in his mouth doing circles :D . hope he doesn't shred it! :roll:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Try the FatCat toys. They sell them at Petsmart and Target. The are bright colored canvassy material but they have a webbing inside which make them pretty durable. We have the Cat and the Snake and they have lasted.
Chester wasn't much of a chewer but Archie had made up for it...if its in his reach its his to chew...he LOVES to drag things like area rugs and blankets (we call him Linus)...He's chewed up our frontdoor mat...after dragging it around the yard...
Good thing he makes me laugh all the time.(most the time).

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
once again, jonah's reading over my shoulder getting ideas. as i was reading this.....he was shredding the mat by the front door. :shock:

i'll give those toys a try. for a short time, sticking his training treats i a cong football is a good 10 min distraction.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
ok just to preface this I dont think I had ever been in a walmart until we moved here a few months ago.... with that being said do you all know that Walmart sells 88 cent dog toys? Seriously its cheaper than treats. I buy a ton and throw one or two to the doggies a day and pick up the shreds that evening. If I get tired of picking up shredded tennis balls or rope then we take a break for a few days! The selection is real decent, they are located in a bin near almost every checkout!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
yes yes yes 88cents :shock: ...i got the huge tennis ball 3 wks ago and he hasn't chewed thru it yet :D ...but i must say when teenage boys throw it for him well ottamans fly up in the air...fishtanks lose a tad of water...you get the picture...my house gets the MAX(xed out) :oops:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sounds like a plan...have to go there to get prescriptions tomorrow any way. it's about time to get the furniture rearranged! :lol:

should be a fun day tomorrow with new toys and a trip to the groomers. he'll be unstoppable!

G

·
I bought a squeaky, rubber hamburger from the 88 cents box in WalMart. It lasted fairly long (about 2 months) and Bella LOVED it. I have never seen it there again, so if anyone does see it, I would love to buy it! I just spent $50 online for new toys for her. She is a chewer, so I looked for sturdy things. I can't wait for the box to arrive :lol: I'll review them after they arrive. Here is what I ordered:
Holee Roller, Buddy's Big Ball, Large Humonga Tongue, Twist n Treat,
Rip em Watermelon and a Rumble Ring. :lol:
Gene, Add some yogurt to the kong to make it last longer, and if you freeze it, even longer!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks, i'll try the yogurt...maybe even share it with jonah.

make sure you get a picture with the tongue toy...that will be classic. thinking of getting one for the little demon for Christmas.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts