Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hope this doesn't sound like a really dumb question, but is it ok to have a towel in the crate when you're trying to train your puppy? we keep a stash of pretty thick (albeit old and ratty) towels on hand to put in maggie's crate. when she pees on it, we put a fresh one in. she doesn't seem to like to be in the crate without a towel so we initially did it to comfort her in the new crate/new house.

it just occured to me today that the towel might be encouraging her to pee in her crate because she isn't necessarily sitting in a puddle of pee. or is it enough for them to smell it?

help?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I will preface this by saying that I am a new puppy owner myself and I do not pretend to have all the answers but towels are what is in Coal's crate too. They are nice and comfy and easy to wash. Coal has only had one or two pee accidents in his crate so I don't think that the towels encourage peeing in the crate by any means.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
phew! glad to hear that everyone else has towels in there, too. maggie is 9 weeks old and pees in her crate at least once per day. we have the XL crate but we use the divider and she can only stand up and turn around. i thought it was too small but my friend who has three dogs said it was fine. the vet said maggie would grow out of it as her bladder control got better.

so glad to hear that towels are ok; it's so easy to dump it in the wash and put a new one in (as opposed to hosing down the whole crate liner).

thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Okay, I will be the only voice of dissent. I don't think there is anything wrong with putting towels in your puppies crate, whatever works, but I can tell you that when Sawyer had some potty training issues early on his trainer suggested taking out all towels and pads because he was soiling the crate and then neatly balling it up in the towel, pretty slick, huh? Of course, there were other issues in Sawyer's case that may not be the case with Maggie. This is just my experience and it did work out eventually.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We put a towel in Digby's crate when we got him (9 months) and he ripped it to shreds. He is bigger (1 yr) and has lots of stuff in his crate that he just can't be without. Two fleece toys, 1 kong, 1 kong type bone. He uses one of the fleece ( a little person) as his pillow. It is so cute!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wonder if the smell is still on the plastic liner, even though the towels are being washed? I would still use a bit of that Nature's miracle stuff each time you take the soiled towels out to wash them. This will hopefully take away all clues that she's ever peed there before.

·
Registered
15 Posts
we put a towel or t-shirt in chloe's crate, but she really seems to love the cool bottom of it and pushes them to the side. we don't put any toys in there- her crate is where she sleeps (not plays!).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts