Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips on finding a reputable family practice attorney? I've searched and searched the net but I just keep coming up with ambulance chasers...

I'll explain in a pm to anyone that thinks they can help.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
It depends on how much money you have to spend, of course...unfortunately, the really well known attoreys charge big up-front fees.
I'd look for an attorney just beginning practice, I'd make certain that he/she had the knowledge and ability to research, the guts to fight and the intelligence to know when to give in...most importantly, someone who would be honest with me about the realities of the case.

You can get referrals from the State Bar Association, personal referrals from friends/relatives, if you are lucky enough to know a courtroom clerk or baliff they may say...they are not supposed to, but they may...

Sit in a few family hearings and watch the attorneys work...see which ones appeal to your common sense.

Make an appointment and talk to them. See if things click for you...
Check the civil court records (and small claims) to see if the attorney was ever sued!

Remember that big names and lots of money do NOT make good attorneys. Often the highest priced, best known attorneys do the smallest amount of work because they rely on their name.

Finally, if you are low income, there are programs to help with family law. Divorces are different than collecting child support which is different from domestic violence, etc.

Sometimes, if you are near a law school, they have clinics to help too...law students help with the research and can appear in court with you, under the guidance of their professor.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW tons of info - thanks Jac... mind if I pm you with a question or two? I can afford a high priced lawyer, but am not sure if this particular case would require it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts