Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday we had a big storm pass through Washington. It even turned into a small tornado. We don't have tornados on a regular basis here in the NW so even though it was a small one, it was scary. It passed about a mile from where I live.

The odd thing is that the dogs knew that something was different and wrong. They FREAKED out. They were barking, panting, and sticking so close to me that I couldn't take a step without running one of them over.

My poor older dog (an ancient, blind Lhasa Apso) became very disoriented. I let her outside to go potty right before we had the storm warning and she got lost in my very small back yard. She went to the far end and couldn’t find her way out of the corner so she stood there panting, looking around feverishly, and whining. I had to help her find her way back.

Anyway, I was just amazed at how in-tune my other dogs (Noodle included) really were with what was happening. It must be an inherited survival thing.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I imagine they were sensitive to the barometric pressure changes. Poor things! I'm relieved you came to no harm.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Relief to hear you all were safe!

we know when we're getting bad storms....max gets real ansty,can't settle down and just before starts barking

Max also let me knwo one night when a bat was tryingto get in my bedroom and also he let me know when we had a mouse in a wall where its cement block and not wood.

animals really are amazing at not only their ability to hear but to sense things

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Even though I've never seen a tornado...........I'm terrified of them. We've had what people think was a tornado.......but I've never than God seen one.
Thank heavens you're safe! That's so scary! This January weather is frightening!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Went through one here in Cincinnati in 1974 ,,, knew it was serious when my Dad said "everyone downstairs NOW" as he ran outside to get our lab mix, Huckleberry.

From the basement windows we watched it move south to north about a mile west of our house. Strangely enough my ride to play practice (dress rehearsal for South Pacific) arrived and I left! :shock: More warnings came through during the rehearsal ... the director said we should leave the auditorium (DUH! :roll: ) But when my ride went to get me back home the National Gaurd would not let us through!

What we had watched from the basement window devasted the neighborhood as we watched. Luckily my brother and sister-in-law were a bit further away and took in this very frightened 17 year old ... my 16 year old sister and my Dad went to check on relatives in the area just after it happened .... she would not sleep upstairs for almost two months!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts