Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the outdoor pool closes for the year they the neutralize the chemicals in the pool to make it safe and then have a dog swim night to benefit the humane society. Well, this was Dante's first real chance to swim and he had a blast - it took him a while to get comfortable going deep to the point he couldn't touch but in the end it was difficult to get him to leave. About an hour after we got home he started limping. :cry:

He has torn back a layer of skin on one of his front pads. It is not bleeding but understandably sore. I'm sure it was from the rough bottom of the pool. Does anyone have experience with this and what should I do? Neosporin and a wrap? A liquid bandage of some sort? I tried to photograph it. I assume I should leave the flap of skin on it and not cut it off. Help!!! I'll call the vet in the morning but in the mean time?

Heather

First the fun :D

Then the ouch ..

·
Registered
260 Posts
ouchie! it doesn't look too serious to me, especially since you say it isn't bleeding. i'm not a doctor or anything, but i'd probably do the same thing as i'd do if it were my own foot: cut the dead skin off, disinfect it with some peroxide or alcohol, put some neosporin on it, and put a band-aid on it. you might want to put an old sock on the foot over the bandage, and then tape around the top of the sock (without taping it to fur) to keep it on. this will keep him from licking it. i probably wouldn't even go to the vet unless i started seeing signs of bleeding or infection... but i tend to be a "wait and see" kind of person.

-em

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Awww Poor Dante - first swim and a booboo - I'm the worry Mom so I'd prob go to the vet but I'd def clean it real well, neosporin and wrap with gauze and a sock so cant lick it off
hope it's nothign serious and doesnt keep Dante from wanting to swim again.

That's really neat that they have a doggie swim fund raiser

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Looks like the booboo was a small price to pay for the fun he had. I agree with all the above, but nervous Daddy that I am....a vet trip to prevent infection is a definite must in my book! Good luck and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sandy did this last week - I left it alone and the loose bit fell off after another day of running around - it was tender for a day or so. The pink layer you see will start to turn dark and toughen up after another day or two. Dante will be fine :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Either air dry or wrap depending on your personal preference, we have air dryed ourselves and I used the green tin square can of bag balm and it works wonderfully on sore or torn pads :) Neosporyn also a great alternative, bag balm seems to work on everything so its always my first reach! It works great on my daughters excema too!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Poor boy!
Great pics!
I'd try antibotics and wrapping during the day while he is active, unwrap at night for air...but if he licks at it a lot or tries to tear it off, I'd wrap it again. Maybe if you call your vet, they can tell you what is best to do without coming in for a visit. That's a nice concept...wonder if vets do that? LOL

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver had this as well and we left it alone.
Did not even clean it on advice from vet.
Healed up on its own.
Please check with your vet, but my experience says it will be fine
:wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for all the response. I went to my local livestock supply and did get an ointment with healing properties, a roll of vet wrap, and some bitter yuck. Since it isn't bleeding I'm not too worried about infection so I got an all natural product that I wasn't as worried about if he licks it. Once I put the salve on and the bandage he was soo much happier and hasn't even tried to chew it. I am also going to put a doggy boot that I happened to have on hand over it for his class tonight. I figured I would unwrap it and let it air out tonight while he is crated.

Heather

1 - 10 of 10 Posts