Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have started something over the Christmas holidays. I'd scramble myself some egg substitute after running each morning, and started mixing a little with Tyke's dry food at breakfast. The substitutes are pretty much egg whites with the fat taken out. Is this ok for dogs? Tyke loves eggs, but I didn't want to give her all that fat. Also, do any of you use other toppings with dry food? She will munch on the dry during the day, but at mealtime, she seems to prefer the eggs in the morning and a little canned food mixed in at night.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I poach skinless, boneless chicken breasts and add 1-2 Tbls. to Tanner's kibble AM & PM. He doesn't care for eggs. I give him about 2 Tbls. yogurt most AMs. I feed Merrick Wilderness dry but they also make the same in cans. I occasionally add a bit of canned. Because he is a grazer, I just put it on top so that he eats it, otherwise if I mixed it in, it would sit most of the day and go bad. Occasionally I will sprinkle some parm cheese on the kibble if he hasn't eaten any by evening. He occasionally gets a raw carrot, raw apple, or red pepper.

I am sure some may prefer feeding kibble only, but I like to supplement.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
one in a great while i will use a teaspoon or two of canned Canidae

toppings: crushed or chopped up pineapple, sweet potato, beef broth, pumpkin, and string beans
rarely" cottage chees or yougurt

my dogs eat healthier than me: they don't eat junk food hahaha

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
tykesmom said:
I think I have started something over the Christmas holidays. I'd scramble myself some egg substitute after running each morning, and started mixing a little with Tyke's dry food at breakfast.
I had to read this twice.....at first I thought you were making it for you!! :shock: Think I better have some coffee...without kibble!! :wink:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In her last few years, Fritzy decided she wasn't going to eat dog food at all, so we spoiled her with boiled hamburger and chicken. I didn't want to get in the same habit with Tyke, although I don't mind mixing a little in her dry food. Tyke finally decided she likes Hundchein Flocken (I can't believe I found that in Walterboro!!), but she is such a picky eater, I've been looking for things to keep the dry stuff interesting for her. Like Tanner, she is a grazer. The yogurt is a great idea - I will try that too. Funny what picky eaters our "children" are - must be the poodle in them. Most labs I have seen will eat the bottom of their bowls!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:31 am Post subject: Re: Toppings on dog food

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tykesmom wrote:
I think I have started something over the Christmas holidays. I'd scramble myself some egg substitute after running each morning, and started mixing a little with Tyke's dry food at breakfast.

I had to read this twice.....at first I thought you were making it for you!! Think I better have some coffee...without kibble!!
Hey Gene, you'd be amazed at how much better I run after a little Hundchien!!! (Makes me want to chase squirrels, though :wink: )

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
KIM , i find dogs and little kids to be so similar

all 3 of my kids when tots went thru stages

my daughter went thru only wanting Bolgna and cheese once for 3 weeks straight :shock: (yes for all 3 meals) hahhahahaa

my skinny son you see holding dooodles all the time was a chunky monkey who once a year would barely eat anything for 3 weeks
max did this too hahhaha and i pretended once to eat his food like it was soooooo yummy and kept pushing him away as if i woudn't share
He gobbled his food up immediately

so if a little "topping" gets them to eat better, well i say go for it :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
annieG said:
Okay....Hundchein Flocken...what the heck is that?
sounds part chinese and german hahhahaaaaaa

Inquiring minds would like to know

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hundchien Flocken is made by Solid Gold, and scores really well on the scoring system for dog foods that you see once in a while on this forum. It was developed by a woman who raised Great Danes, and while she was in Germany, she found that many of their Danes eating this premium food lived longer than ones in the U.S., so she developed this food based on the German version. Hundchien Flocken apparently literally means "Little Dog (puppy) Flakes". And, of course, the adult version is just Hund Flocken. I started using it because Tyke seems to have a problem with itchy skin, and it has salmon oil in it, and also has no corn or wheat gluten. Tyke loves it, and it's also a lot of fun to go into a pet store and ask for it - sort of sounds like you are swearing when you say it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Real Quick...salmon is good in dogfood cause it's prepared correctly
HOWEVER folks

RAW Uncooked Salmon and Trout is NOT good as it contains bacteria that could cause a dog to get severely ill and need ER treatment
as does chocolate, grapes, raisens, onions, and coco hull shell mulch

Cooked FISH is fine and back to our regularly scheduled topic :D

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Annmarie...thanks for the reminder..and re cocoa shell...that is being sold as mulch for yards...not safe for pets :twisted:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good tips Annmarie and Annie - I had recently heard about the cocoa chips used as mulch - I have been much more careful with Tyke, b/c she will pick up ANYTHING! Also with the Hundchen, although she is getting the oil she needs, she doesn't have FISHBREATH after she eats!!!
(Also, Annie - I checked on the Merrick website - although there are no stores in Walterboro that sell it, there are several in the Bluffton/ HHI area that do, so Tanner won't have to go without!!)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
ellabee said:
tykesmom said:
Hundchein Flocken
Gesundheit!
Glad I wasn't drinking coffee....thanks Lynn!! :lol:

Our Petco is in the process of going out of business, bad location with no easy way in or out. Every thing is 30% off....I'm waiting til it hits the take it now please stage.... :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOVE IT! I'm sure I'll get that from one of the Petco employees some day! Tyke would have to be different and pick a food with such a funky name!!! :p

·
Registered
659 Posts
I had a dog who once he got a taste of my Italian Grandma's (she was a saint!) marinara sauce, he would not eat without it slathered on his food. I once tried to break him of this and he held out for 17 days, just drinking water and barely nibbling enough to subsist. I finally gave in worrying that he would starve himself to death.

Little Ozzie, on the other hand, is a canine shop-vac. That boy can eat and WILL eat anything resembling food that you place in front of him.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
all this talk about toppings

hmmmmmmm anyone care to join me...i am now going to make a hot fudge sundae with walnuts

1 - 20 of 24 Posts