Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm thinking of switching my two 10month old doodles off of Innova Evo as it seems to be too rich for them and I've read that high protein levels and/or Calcium levels could be bad for puppies. I really like the grain-free diet concept but all of the grain-free diets are very high in protein. Anyone have any good links or information on this subject?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

All of the 6-star dog foods on the dog food analysis site are high in protein. I feel like there are no 6-star puppy foods on this list that don't have warnings against feeding them to puppies. Strange eh?

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Thanks again for any help!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Sarahann I noticed the same thing. My dog is currently on Solid Gold's Hundchen Flocken, their puppy food. She is 7 months now, and I was looking at their adult foods to figure out which would be best for her when it is time to switch. I was considering their high protein "Barking at the Moon" b/c Tyke is going to be starting agility training and eventually running with me. It came with the same warning- I'm wondering when it IS ok to switch over.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I also feed Henry a high protein biologically appropriate food. I was worried about too much protein as well. I did a lot of research and found that the "too much protein is bad" way of thinking is a bit outdated.

I feed Henry Orijen (which is very similiar to Innova Evo). The Orijen web site has some great info on the protein issue. I don't know how to link the page to the forum but if you go to their site the info is under the "White page" link.

This whole food issue is very confusing and I worry about giving Henry the perfect food. I spend way more time worrying about what I feed him compared to what I feed myself. :?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, here is my take on dog food...
Dogs in the wild ate protein (hair, bones, internal junk and all) as well as greens and veggies that they could find.
When we domesticated them, we fed them people food. Still not bad because at that time people were eating healthy, clean foods too.
Now, everything is processed.
Then people wanted convenience, so they started to can food for dogs. Again, probably much like they canned their own foods.
In times of war (early on...I don't know when for sure) the metals used for cans became scarce and valuable for war supplies so they stopped canning dog foods...but someone wanted a food for their dogs that would not spoil on long ship trips so, they baked a hard biscuit ...who knows what was in it...but it served the purpose.
Later on, because of lack of cans and ease of hard foods, manufacturers made kibble. They tweaked it and put stuff in it that they thought would be healthy...and as time went on they marketed it to vets and to people who wanted ease of feeding. They raved about how this hard kibble kept dog teeth clean and breath fresh! Soooo, vets started recommending it...and people (the sheep that we are) soon started buying the food and the logic without question.
But now, let's really think about this...how can there be too much protein? That is what canines need. (Another bit of marketing hype...too much protein.)
Why would kibble clean a dog's teeth any better than a raw bone or a tendon? If this reasoning is sound, we should be feeding our kids nothing but really, really dry foods to clean their teeth! (Forget all that stuff about apples and kids' teeth...let's market some really hard "one size fits all" food for all kids in all conditions.
My point, made sometimes tongue in cheek, is that if your dog is doing well on a food and you are happy with it...and it is made with quality ingredients (not fillers from China) then why switch?
Pups are supposed to eat 3 to 4 meals per day. They cut down to 2 meals as they mature to adulthood.
I personally free feed dry food and supplement with canned food in the morning and night and all of my dogs are lean, strong and healthy (except for sweet Lexie, who has my genes!)
The truth is that the foods that vets push are foods that they are SELLING and they get money for sales...very simple.
So, read ingredient lists, do your research, and watch how your dog feels...you will know if you are feeding correctly or not.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Jac said:
I personally free feed dry food and supplement with canned food in the morning and night and all of my dogs are lean, strong and healthy (except for sweet Lexie, who has my genes!)
I agree with the protein thing...Not to get too off the subject, but about free feeding... I was interested in doing the same for Lucas... free feed his kibble, and supplement with raw foods... any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. Your responses are in line with what I've been reading. I don't think my pups have been growing too fast and they have only been on Evo since they were 6 or 7 months old.

I am considering Orijen because I live in Canada (it's made in Canada) and Evo seems to be a bit rich. Manchego poops a lot on it and they both have gas. I have been told that this could be a puppy thing. Even so, I like that there is are lower calcium and phosphorus levels in the Orijen and that they have a puppy formula.

And like you Susan, I think I also stress more about what I feed the dogs than what I feed myself. I guess it's because we feel responsible for their health.

On the topic of mixing kibble w/ home cooked, you can find some good information on the http://www.dogster.com forums. There is specifically a good forum for home cooking and one for raw diets. I myself just started pureeing fresh veggies and fruits for them as an addition to their dinner. I feel like this way they are getting some really good nutrients and it seems to really be agreeing with them. I haven't been brave enough to go for adding a protein source but its not that hard. We fed chicken and rice for a week when Manchego was sick but now I'm just concerned about balancing out the diet. For another good site for dog nutrition check out: http://landofpuregold.com/food.htm I particularly like the top 10 fruits and veggies for your dog link on the bottom of the page.

Thanks again everyone... glad that I found this community!

Cheers,
Sarah

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Great information Sarah, thank you!

Jenny, I have dabbled with raw and with my huge pack it can get pretty messy! But with one or two dogs, I would seriously look into it.

I have read a lot about raw feeding and they really are against kibble at all...there are some great web sites about raw feeding and some really nice books too...I can't think of titles or links offhand, but I am sure that someone will chime in with them...if not, I'll check later and get back with you.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Thanks guys, I will read that link... we have been free feeding a 1.5 cups of Canidae morning and night, he aslo gets yogurt, cheese, raw eggs & meat ( not everyday)... but I have feed without having an exact science about it... and I have noticed he eats less kibble on days that he gets the raw... as well as eats less on his own, days that he gets less exercise... he is 6.5 months old and about 35lbs, fit, and you can certainly feel his ribs, which a am told is normal... I will continue to read on this subject, Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts