Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am a long time lurker but finally decided to post after all the recent discussions about poop and Canidae dog food.

I have a 7 month old labradoodle named Charlie. He is a real sweetie. I don't think we knew what we were getting into with the high energy level and chewing but we're really enjoying him. Our last dog was a standard poodle and although they look similar there is a night and day difference.

Anyway... my question is about Charlie's bathroom habits. We put him on Canidae soon after we got him in May. He seems to do well on it but still poops MANY times a day. On an hour walk, he will usually go twice. The first one within 5-10 minutes and then a loose one later in the walk. I've assumed the second poop was loose because it just didn't have time to solidify. Do you all think the activity is causing this or does he just have way too much fiber in his diet? I haven't tested him for worms in the last few months but he has always been a big pooper so this is not new behavior.

Any ideas?

I want to add that I always enjoy reading your threads and have learned alot here over the past few months. It's often a relief to know I'm not the only one dealing with particular doodle behavior.

Thanks,
Deb

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have never looked at the ingredients in your dog food, is grain or corn on the list near the begining? What is in the treat you feed her? that many times seems like a lot of fiber moving through.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Canidae ingredient list is long but does not include alot of grains. According the the crude analysis, it is 4% fiber. (This is less than I eat per day!) We give him the tiny Mother Hubbard biscuits as training tools and he occasionally has a homemade salmon or cheese cookie that does contain grains but he only has perhaps one per day. He loves rawhide but we limit that as well.

When he was small, I thought he pooped alot because he was eating more than he should. He was such a chow hound. I just figured it went right through him. Now he eats 2 cups/day and weighs about 43 pounds so that seems to be where he should be at.

He poops 6-8 times per day and probably three times before 10am.

Deb

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Welcome Deb Brown and Charlie!

As Ebbe is an Iams eater with various snacks thrown in I can't comment on the Canidae and regularity.
I did want to say "How do?" It is a comfort to know you didn't get the craziest doodle in the bunch .... we're just a bunch of doodle owners who are crazy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Welcome Deb!

Cinnamon is on Canidae and she poops twice a day. Of course, she's almost 3 now, so the age difference can be a factor.

I had a cocker once that would poop on his walk even if he just pooped in the yard. He was a real stinker, in more ways than one. It could be just part of him being him.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
At 16 months Denver goes twice a day
He is also on Canidae, so I would talk to vet as
it does seem like too many poops even at that age.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all the for replies and for the welcome. I must admit I am a bit "crazier" for having owned a doodle. :wink:

I was wondering today if he just has a bit of a nervous tummy. It doesn't take much if a change in his routine or diet to bring on the diarrhea. Perhaps, his morning walk is just exciting. All those new scents and dogs to meet could be enough to trigger the extra poops?

For now I'll have to hope he outgrows it. I guess I should be grateful he isn't eating a more bulky food. :roll:

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
DebBrown...max poops about 3 times a day on Canidae.
whereas Peanut is a 2 pee and 2 pooper 2 to 3 times a day , and her mother is the same way hahhahahhaaa

both doodles are on canidae. I find though a long walk and/or lots of play will sometimes get things moving more than usual :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts