Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, We're new owners of a beautiful 3 months old female. We've been catching up on research and postings but not sure about excercise duration with labradoodle. I just started running to give "Angel" her daily excercise. In the beginning ( 9-10 weeks old) we'd go for about a 3 miles walk-jog in the woods. She's now 12 weeks old and running about 4.5 miles a day with me. I cannot keep up with her pace now, but came accross another dog owner today who saids that certain breeds shouldn't be excercise too much due to their imature bone density.
Any advise on the daily run? Should I pull back? She seems to handle it much better than I am and happy/well balanced after the long runs.

Thanks,
H-[/img]

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
My doodle is 4 1/2 months old. I asked the same question when we got him.
Our breeder said to not do the long walks I do when we first got him because I guess it actually can hurt them...(others may tell you how)
Now at this age....I'll do 3-4 mile walks and he seems fine....but I built him up slowly.
You may be doing too much at 3 months with runs.........I don't know....that's what I've heard.
Like you........I can't WAIT until he can just GO with me!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I've read on several sites that doodle pups should not be given long walks on hard surfaces and No running until they are at least a year old as they are still growing

Short walks a few times a week and playing in the yard - I have read that on quite a few sites

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
....................but to what age Mary? Is 4 1/2 months too young? We don't run but what do ya think of the walks?
I think the running could be hard on them before a year.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi and the reason it's stated NOT to jog with a dog till they're at least a year old is that they're tendons/ligaments and bones are growing
too much stress on them can cause future problems such as
hip dysplacia , elbow and/or knee problems etc

when a dog runs, jumps on its own, its natural and not continuous as they take breaks to sit, lie down , walk etc

your vet is also a great source of advice and can answer your question more fully than i can.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy! She sounds adorable!

Regarding exercise- the puppy contract that came with our pup said that dogs less than 2 years old, and especially 1 years old, shouldn't be taken jogging or on walks longer than a mile because of hip dysplasia risks.

Instead of a daily run, maybe you could divide her exercise time into a few sessions per day. Like a morning walk, afternoon walk, and evening playtime. We've found this works pretty well for Boo and his puppy hyperness. And when the weather gets warmer, and if you have access to a pool or lake, you can teach her swimming! Good exercise and much gentler on the joints.

(Just a thought- at her next check-up you might want to tell the vet about the exercise routine she's had, so that the vet can keep an eye out for any possible joint issues. Or maybe the vet might recommend a calcium supplement for her bones to be on the safe side, etc. Just a thought.) :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
but to what age Mary? Is 4 1/2 months too young? We don't run but what do ya think of the walks?
I think the running could be hard on them before a year.
We have been walking Dexter 1 mile in the morning since he was at least 4 months old. Sometimes we take him (and now Kirby) for a 2nd 1 mile walk in the afternoon. I think 3-4 miles at once may be a bit much for a 4.5 month puppy.

I have heard the same as the other - no running on hard surfaces until 1-1.5 yrs old. Of course running on grass is fine for them early on (because they control the running and can stop when they are tired).

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
MaxandMe said:
hi and the reason it's stated NOT to jog with a dog till they're at least a year old is that they're tendons/ligaments and bones are growing
too much stress on them can cause future problems such as
hip dysplacia , elbow and/or knee problems etc

when a dog runs, jumps on its own, its natural and not continuous as they take breaks to sit, lie down , walk etc

your vet is also a great source of advice and can answer your question more fully than i can.
My thoughts exactly.

G

·
I got Maya because I wanted a running partner. My vet told me to wait at least until she was 1 year but to keep in mind that they do grow until at least 1.5 years. For the safety of my pup I am waiting on running with her until she is 2. I have ran alone this long I can wait another year. I think walks (1 mile or so) broken up during the day would be fine though.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Oh brother! ......and here I thought I was being such a good mama!!!
Mailabradoodles.........what are we to do????

·
Registered
204 Posts
We take Abbey on a one hour walk every morning. She is almost 6 months old. We've been doing this walk since she was a little pup. First we only let her walk a few blocks and held her the rest of the way. Eventually she could make the entire walk. She was usually quite tired after her walk. Now the walk doesn't really wear her out. We are going to begin extending it. We try to do an afternoon walk as well, but it's been so cold!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've read/heard the same thing others have mentioned - no running on hard surfaces until at least a year if not a year and a half. My DH is SO looking forward to the day he can take Cody running with him. It's been a tough wait, but we're almost there. :)
When the weather is decent, we make sure we get Cody out in the yard to play in the afternoon or evening and try to get him at least one walk a day. This winter has been hard because its been horribly cold or horribly yucky so if Cody wants out, he's on his own on a tether in our backyard. The tether is long enough that he can cover almost the whole yard (we tether because the one neighbor's fence is a split rail and we're afraid that without supervision Cody would wander under the split rail).
Today is tough - Cody was supposed to go to doggie daycare because the kids were supposed to be at school and I was supposed to be at work. But school got cancelled due to snow so we're all home and dealing with a pup full of energy (I could tell he knew it was a daycare day). So far a nice big bone has kept him busy.
Doggie daycare is a great way for a pup to expend energy (and learn socialization skills with other dogs).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the great feedback!

Thank you group, I will certainly pull back until I do more research on this topic and question the vet. The breed is really amazing, aside from normal expected puppy stuff, she's been a great first experience for my girls. I want to do the right thing by balancing excercise/nutrition and affection.

Great forum everyone.

Cheers,

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Talked to my vet about this today. He said NO running, but walks are fine. He said if he appears tired or lies down...........go home!...........slowly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts