Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year we grow tomatoes on our deck. We have one big self watering one, and a couple of normal planters. this year we are trying something new..to us anyway. It is an upside down planter that you hang. They say it is supposed produce good yields. No staking or pests get to them and virtual continuous watering, and less chance of soil-borne
diseases. Anyone ever try them?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I tried upside down tomatoes last year and had an awful with with them drying out. I had to water them twice a day or they'd shrivel up. I had others in the ground just feet away and they did much better. So I decided it wasn't something I would try again.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I never heard of that!....Hmmm....maybe I should hang all my plants like that so Bogie can't eat them.....hahahahaha!!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I was discussing these with my neighbor yesterday - I'd be curious to hear more experiences with it!

G

·
Be careful. Tomatoes are on the ASPCA's list of toxic plants.

Tomato Plant (green parts only)

Common Name: Tomato Plant
Scientific Name: Lycopersicon spp
Family: Solanaceae
Toxic Principle: solanine
Clinical signs: hypersalivation, inappetence, severe gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea, drowsiness, CNS depression, confusion, behavioral change, weakness, dilated pupils, slow heart rate.

Lycopersicon esculentum

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be careful. Tomatoes are on the ASPCA's list of toxic plants.
Thanks for the tip. We were aware of it actually. That is why we thought we would try this, this year. We will keep it hung high enough so he cannot get to it. And we have positioned the others in a way he cannot get to them. Next move is to the bottom of the upper deck which is about 14 feet high. I don't see a problem because Marley has shown little if any interest in them, but we are being careful. :)

I tried upside down tomatoes last year and had an awful with with them drying out.
Last year was really hot. Extraordinarliy so. 8) We had a bad year in the tomato department. So hot I think I over watered them!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
That's cool! I've seen them in gardening catalogs, always wondered how they worked. I'll be interested to see how yours do! :D

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Yeah REALLY! :shock: Thanks for the tip! I had no idea and we're ardent tomato growers!
With the amount of leaves Bogie sucks down, we need to do some major changes this year!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Someone on my painters' list mentioned that a friend gets five-gallon buckets, fills them with soil or planting mix, puts a tomato plant in each and hangs them up. The plant grows down and the tomatoes are easy to harvest. Sounded like a cheap and easy solution, especially if you can't grow them the regular way for some reason.

Leslie - with 52 tomato plants, all with blossoms on them, but growing the traditional way.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I've never seen those hanging types before...wow!

yes the leaves and stems of tomato plants can be toxic to dogs if ingested

In the past I've grown tomato and pepper plants inside my house during the winter and hand pollinate them. so you can have fresh tomatoes year round.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts