Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dulcie was doing really well on keeping to a small area of the garden to go potty, but once she found a way into next doors garden she used it as one big toilet area. We now have a lovely 6 foot fence up so she is nice and secure but I'e to make a toilet area for her. I spoke to another dog owner at the bark who said they had made one with bark chipping and the dog has been great at keeping to that small area. Has anyone else done this or has any tips or suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sorry Laura, no help here...I am always thrilled that they learn to go outside! I know that it is best if they go in one area and that many have been able to train their dogs to do so, but it has not been a priority for me.
I will say that my dogs, even given their choice, find a place that is far away from the door and they go to the same area every time. Each has their own spot too, they don't like to use the one that another dog uses.
Sorry that I'm not much help...I am sure that others will chime in with some great ideas though!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am trying to use an area that she prefered when she was a puppy (before using all of next doors garden) and hope she is happy to return to it. I bought an extra large bag of chipped bark to fill the area and it was waiting in the car for someone stronger than me to lift it. Dulcie had her long walk this morning and was sleeping in the back of the car when I popped to the supermarket. On my return I found that she had ripped open the bag and the whole car was filled with the bark! I've tried to get it all out but have to wait for the last scrapes stuck int he car to dry out I htink before tackling them. I have made her the area for her but she now thinks she's not allowed near the bark! Oh well, I;m sure she'll get there in the end!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahahahaha! What a visual that makes! Good luck with her in the potty area...sounds like this could work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Laura-

I too have been trying to establish one area for Sage to go because I don't want my kids (especially my 1.5 year old) to end up mixing with it when playing outside. I figured that things were going really well since we had taken her out on leash every time she had to go and took her to the same area. She actually tugs us to the spot when we go out. However, we put a tie-out stake in the yard for her to be tethered to when we are out playing and gardening. The tether is 20' long, and we made sure that she could easily reach her "area", but she still just did it where ever. Oh well :lol: . A friend of mine told me that she remembered hearing that a dog would have to be repeatedly led to the same area until somewhere in the ball-park of their first birthday. Still a long way to go for us. Don't know if that helps. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts