Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, some of you have braved this weather and taken your doodle's for walks. But, my hubby is telling me he doesn't want HIS dog out walking in this cold! What a wimp!...lol
Actually, he's kind of helping me make a decision to NOT go!

But seriously is 10 degrees and a windchill of minus 4 too cold for a couple mile walk for a 4 month old?.............or am I being too BLONDE today?? :lol:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If and when it gets up to 10, I will probably take Charlie for a walk but not a long one. We didn't go out yesterday but he must understand because he is very calm and seems happy to lounge around indoors.

If you do decide to go, watch how Bogie reacts. If he seems uncomfortable, just get back home.

Deb

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That IS a great site Shannon!!
Well.............we went for a 17 minute walk. Bogie had his coat on. I looked like an eskimo.......lol
He IS a black dog not BLONDE. His reaction? He sat down a lot and looked back...lol.........I did some tugging today which is unusual as he tries to lead.
So, I turned the corner and headed on home. That was long enough for both of us.
AND....the weathercast for pets says......brrrrr bring them inside!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
We took our walk too. It didn't seem so bad once I was bundled up. At least the sun is shining brightly!

Charlie met a lab at the park and ran and wrestled for 20 minutes or so. I don't think he felt the cold at all. ;)

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I know it doesn't get as cold here as in the midwest, but we had a few days where the morning temp was 5-10 deg and our doodles did not seem to mind one bit. We usually come in because a human is too cold :)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I'd say if he was stopping and looking back he prob wasnt too happy LOL do you have booties for his paws so they dont freeze?

our high was 22 with winchills in teens and single today, AB hasnt stayed outside long and she loves colder weather, too cold even for her

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mary,
I really think it was his fleece coat! I think he was embarrassed :oops: and wanted to go home.... :lol:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
lindamarie said:
Mary,
I really think it was his fleece coat! I think he was embarrassed :oops: and wanted to go home.... :lol:
ROFL - you need to post a pic of him with his little fleece coat. DH had Annabelle outside this am with her new coat and she played like it wasnt on her. I bet Bogie looks adorable in his jacket

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I think your dog will tell you when he is ready to come in. We took a quick walk at +3 this morning, and I could really feel the heat wave!! Our early 6 AM walks this weekend started out at -13 and -11(plus wind chill) respectively. We made it quick, and Marley wore his Muttlucks and both times he hesitated when going in. He loves this weather, but we took him in. No need to push it. Today we have a high prediction of low teens. that is nice we might take a little longer walk, snow permiting. 4-7 inches by midnight. I would never put Marley in harms way, and I was concerned about the cold but he shows little worry in the cold and he has headed towards the door when he is ready. He knows and lets me know. Smart dogs those Doodles!!!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats great greg!!
We bought Bogie some goofy boots that don't fit right.............he needs a pair that work before we can walk today.
I hate when these poor dogs get snow in their paws and hold them in the air with this OUCHIE look on their face.. :cry:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Lindamarie, Last year at this time, Tanner was 5 months old and he was bothered more by walking in the cold and he would often try to lift his feet. You know, one, then another, then another trying to get all of them off the cold ground. After a year of daily walks, his feet must be tougher because he hasn't done that even once this year. We have some boots for him and I use them occasionally but not every walk.

By the way, hope your birthday was good one. I am always grateful to see each and every one now :wink:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Annie Thanks..........I guess we should be grateful for each year, huh?

Aw, that sounds so pathetic! I can just see Tanner doing that pick up one paw, down, then the other down.
I think you're right about toughening up the pads. At 4 months, they're pretty soft yet. I have been walking him everyday before the winter blast, but he might not be up to snuff yet.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The night after Tanner arrived we went to my son's on Christmas Eve. He lives at Brighton Utah...it is a ski resort area. Poor Tanner was only 4 1/2 mo old and I am sure he was wondering what frozen hell had he been shipped to. They had 10 ft of snow...clear up to their 2nd story windows..he got very car sick on the way the up canyon, threw up all over me. Poor guy had to pee and kept falling over as he didn't want any feet to touch the ground.

Now today, he was at daycare from 7 AM until 4 PM. The owner said he was in and out the whole entire day...preferring to play outside with his buds...the high was 16 degrees today...

Bogie will toughen up...but enjoy puppyhood :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts