Labradoodle Forums banner

Is Jofi ready for a trim?

• Yes! Take her to the groomers for a hair cut!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! Leave her as she is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems a lot of the doodles here have had a trim recently. So far, I've just done all the grooming/trimming myself. Jofi is 6.5 months now - I've trimmed her eyes, muzzle, ears, paws, hocks etc. but left her hair to grow to its natural length as much as possible. I've only used scissors. She's not matted - I brush her every day or so.

So my question is... should she have a trim or should I just continue as I have been and see what happens - wait until her coat is unmanageable i.e. is matting, before taking her to the trim salon? The weather's getting warmer now and she loves to swim. If I do take her for a trim - do any of you have some handy tips regarding what to ask for/avoiding a baaadddd hair day?!

This is the fun part... I'm including a poll and I'll act according to the result. If the result is yes, then Jofi will get a trim in the next week or so and I'll post. If the answer is no, then I'll let her hair growww! Suggestion pics of her new cut are welcome (just not mullets please).

Here's how she looks now - this is her playing with her latest love 'Max'.

After rolling around and romping with her doggy friends.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i luv her hair..longer the better..

but, as summer comes closer she ll be much more comfortable if she got a trim..maybe 2 inch s all around..Toby is down to 1 inch all around..

then a shorter strip under the body to keep her cool..

i voted to trim..but she s gorgeous the way she is..

·
Registered
333 Posts
I voted not to trim. I love the long, shaggy look but perhaps for summer it is best to trim. I can't wait to see what a mess Chloe is in when she returns. From what the trainer said, it sounds like she will have to be shaved...again :(

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I voted for a trim due to following reasons even though i love the longer shaggy look:

1. Cooler for Jofi during hotter months
2. you will AVOID matts which can mean more $$ and/or a much closer trim than planned
3. Her coat will grow in fast.

4. Peanut who never has matted ....ugh!!! just started matting, it's so hard to work with and i do brush her 5 times a week

5. a 1in trim all over usually looks great on Fleece coated dogs
(peanut is fleece, the cream on in avitar)

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
For the hotter weather and or matting
I would trim her as well...................but she is so pretty
with the long look!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would say leave her, unless she shows signs of discomfort in the warmer weather. I am going to leave Callie's coat alone as long as I can, but I will have her clipped if she seems uncomfortable.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I vote to take her to the groomer's for a few reasons:

1) Trust me - in the hot weather they are more comfy w/shorter hair.
2) It's easier to keep them clean w/short hair.
3) If she wants to swim in the summer she will dry faster w/short hair.
4) She is still young and it's good to introduce a puppy to the groomer while they're young so they aren't afraid when they are older.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I did vote for Jofi to go to the groomers for a slight trim....
like I am thinking about giving Abby.
I trimmed around her eyes last night..
Her bangs are so thick she literally couldn't see!

Here are a few of Abby....
Who is super sensitive to the heat....
Even now in the 80's she gets really hot!!
I think her coat is about 4 inches long everywhere
but her face and feet....
I think I will trim her to about 2 inches.

Don't have clippers, but maybe I should get some.
They'd pay for themselves pretty quickly.......
not going to the groomer.
(Oh my aching back....Those groomer's really do earn their money!)

Is 2 inches short enough?? What do you think?
I love her current look...
but I know she'd be cooler if I trimmed her down a bit.

I did Coco down to one inch in the fall,
just to even her up some....
but I think I will leave her alone for now...
Her length is curling up alot now and her overall
coat isn't nearly as thick as Abby's.

8)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
OMG how cute is she??

Personally I would go down to 1 inch...I bet her hair grows quickly :) I was so hesitant to cut Dex down the first time and I found I like his short look almost as much as the longer look.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Leslie,

Do you take Dexter to the groomer to have it done?
Or....do you have clippers.
If so, what kind do you have?
I need to find the best for the least money that I can.

Maybe an inch would be better....
She seems to grow faster than Coco.

Think I can do her with scissors???

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have found 1 in to be good but this summer i might even have peanut taken down to 3/4in if it's really hot this year

here's a 1in cut

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
and here it is only half grown out which i love

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Ohhhh, she is so cute either way!
I love the half grown out one, too.

that's why I may do 2 inches first and if that isn't cool enough,
then cut Abby down another inch.

Precious Peanut! 8)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm on the fence about this issue. I would rather leave the dog "au natural", but I've read so many posts from Doodle owners living in hot and HUMID climates.

Ozzie's coat is kind of medium length for Labradoodles and he is about to face his first New Mexico summer... hot and dry days, cool comfortable evenings. I'm gonna just keep an eye on him to see if he's feeling uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Ozzie's coat looks like it may handle the weather this summer just fine.
If he swims or loves the sprinklers....that may be good way to coool him down, without having to trim him down.
He'll look great either way!
8)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for all the replies and very useful advice. I think I will have to book Jofi for her first trip to the groomers! How exciting!! I wonder whether I'll be able to stay with her and watch - either way, I hope she manages ok. She's usually good with being handled.

Jane... your abby is GORGEOUS - getting their hair cut is a bit of a dilemma when they look so stunning with a long flowing coat. I love the way the coats move as the dog runs.

Annemarie, I love Peanuts 1inch cut - I had thought 1inch might be too short but it looks wonderful on her. She looks so soft. I also like the way the hair grows back in - the inbetween look. Would I be able to take that photo along when I take Jofi to the groomers? I'm thinking to ask for a 1inch cut - perhaps with a shorter section underbelly and an air-flow line from ear to ear. I'm kind of scared of taking Jofi to have a hair cut - just scared I'll end up with a shaved poodle look at the end!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we always take Dexter to the groomer's...he doesn't sit still that well and I worry about hurting him w/the clippers. My husband is dying to try it ourselves though and save the money.

We do a scissor cut on Kirby which takes forever...with our work schedule by the time they are tired and lay down at night it's after 8 pm and Dexter always is getting right in there while we try to cut Kirby. We will hopefully be done the haircut this weekend. He'll be about 1/2 to 1 inch.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts