Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm going back and forth with the idea of allowing my six month old F1b named Onyx to become a stud dog. (I've done my research, but everyone I talk to seems to have a different opinion.)

Actually, I have a friend who breeds F1's who is begging me to let Onyx stud for her so that she can start raising multi-gens. She has a 2 yr. old apricot F1 and is hoping that I'll allow her and Onyx to start "dating" when he gets a bit older. He is CKC registered and from champion lines (at least on his poodle side) and he has an amazing temperment and conformation.

I've heard a number of different opinions so I was just wondering what your take might be?

I just have so many questions... How will it effect my dog's temperment if I allow him to stud and then have him neutered? Is six months the ideal age to neuter a dog or is it ok if I wait a bit longer to decide? And, if I do allow him to stud, how do I go about getting the proper tests run first, i.e. OFA? Is there a way to register him as a stud dog so we might be able to work with other breeders than just my friend??? Ugh... Lots of questions!

Onyx is a cutie though... I have two of his pics posted on the site below. One pic is at six weeks, the other is at six months.

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures/g ... oodle-0057

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures/g ... oodle-0062

Thanks again for your help and advice!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think your boy is beautiful, however

most breeders are trying to get away from the color of black so even though he looks gorgeous, I do not think you will find many outside "jobs" for him. If you do plan on having him sire a litter of puppies I would strongly recommend having him OFA or PennHIP tested, plus vWD, CERF the eyes & heart

Holly
http://fourpawsdoodles.com

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Another thing to think about is how many breeders are in your area, otherwise you will be doing AI and a lot don't have good sucess with that unless your working with someone that knows what their are doing. And I have to agree with Holly Black is not a good color to start with, :? I myself think they are beautiful but they are harder to sell and a lot of breeders will tell you this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard that... about the black being the non-preferred color. Why do you think that is?

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but my Onyx was one of eight pups and was the pick of the litter. Of the 8, 2 were cream, 2 were chocolate, and 4 were black. By far, he had the best coat and conformation of them all.

I understand... trust me... I do! I just wasn't sure if I should let him sire a litter, (pending proper testing of course), or go ahead and get him snipped before he gets older. When I bought him, I had no intentions of breeding. It wasn't until a breeder friend of mine suggested the idea of using him as one of her studs in order to begin a line of F2's that I even entertained the idea.

Doodle breeding in my area is very slim although there are some... mostly F1's. Maybe that is why the pressure is on from my friend to have an F2 litter!

So, even though you offered some great hints/advice... I'm still not quite sure what to do about neutering my pup. Is it better to just go ahead and do it now? Would allowing him to sire even be worth it because of his coloring?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't really answer your question but I'm not sure what to tell you, couple things a lot of people say that if you neuter early they never learn to lift their leg so then they are not peeing on your bushes and outside furniture. I really don't know if this is true or not since I'm a breeder and all my males are intact. I know mine because they are intact pee on everything outside lifting their legs. They other thing I will mention is what Holly said about testing it is expensive and one litter won't pay for that expense so you would really want to have more than one litter to help pay for this. And believe me I think the blacks are beautiful :) I don't know why more people don't like them but it is the same way with Labs the blacks don't sell as well. I hope I've answered your question this time.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Your very Welcome I'm not trying to discourage you it does have to be your decision and I applaud you for doing your homework first before breeding or studding.

Maybe the Dam's owner would help in the expense in testing there are a lot of ways to do things.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Jamie,

I admire your dedication to getting the answers before you jump into things. It isn't an easy choice...

You have been given good and accurate advice so I won't say much more except for 2 things...did your sales contract have a neuter clause? If so, you may not be able to breed him...it will depend on a few things...most importantly, your breeder giving permission (in writing.)

Second, your friend is not correct in thinking that breeding an F1 to an F1B will qualify as a multigen. It is rather complicated and I don't understand it completely, but she might want to find out more about that before she advertises multigen puppies.

That being said, if you decide to stud your dog out, you will probably get the price of one puppy for the stud fee...that is the general fee anyway. And it might pay for his testing. I agree that he should be tested...and if you are doing it right, you will insist that the female be tested as well...make sure that the puppies you help to bring into the world have a good chance at health and happiness...

My stud contract instructs the owners of the female that the puppies will not be sold as research or to pet stores, etc. and I make sure that they are careful as to what type of homes the pups go to...things like that.

I also think it is extremely important to check both male and female for sexually transmitted disease...even if they have not had relations...because this can be passed to puppies from their mothers and the dogs can be carriers and you wouldn't know it.

I check my Poodle for vWD, SA, thyroid in addition to hips and eyes. The more you test your dog and the better results you have, the more in demand he will be.

If you decide not to breed him and want to have him neutered, I believe that if you do it before he turns 6 months of age it is easier for him. Neutering helps to protect him from certain cancers and it helps to deter the negative things that male dogs do when they reach maturity.

I would suggest that you discuss it with your vet. You will get some really good advice...and if you want, check with several vets. Do your research and just decide what best suits you and your circumstances.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts