Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sessa35 said:
Paul mentioned perhaps a long-standing allergy to chicken--which would have built over the year and then "burst" onto the scene again with the stress of the digestive system...hmmm...still pondering that one...
Well, if dogs are like people, they can build up an "intolerance" for certain foods that they eat repeatedly. I never thought about it much before but it seems to be more likely in dogs where we feed them the exact same menu every day.

Does the brand you like, make a lamb formula? Maybe the switch would make sense. I don't know of any commercial fish based feed but there might be some.

I'm sure doodle owners with good advice will chime in.

Deb

G

·
My thoughts:
It's possible a chicken allergy is surfacing, BUT I think it's more likely that she could be reacting to the tummy meds. Maybe there is an ingredient in the meds that she is allergic to. The base might be corn or whatever she was reacting to in her prior food.
That said, IF I decided to change her food, I would try to stay with the same brand. Fish would be a good trial protein, or duck or maybe lamb if available.
Keep us posted Vanessa! I hope sweet Mija feels better soon!

·
Registered
560 Posts
My thoughts were that it is more likely the meds too as these were just re-introduced recently. Hopefully then it would be temporary and you could stay on the same food. If your pup needs to go on these meds again in the future be careful as he might have a much worse reaction.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I started mixing another type of canidae with Max's all life stages canidae.

Why did i do this? cause after 7mos he started getting the toots all of a sudden , now he's fine.

I hope you figure this out and please keep us posted

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Vanessa, I am sorry...I didn't know you were having trouble with Mija's diet. I am not able to read all of the posts now and so I miss some...I would have responded and wished you and her well.
About chicken and allergies...most breeders believe that chicken is one of the worst for allergies. My dogs are fine with it, but many dogs with allergies do fine with more rare foods like duck or venison, fish is good too, but stinky! LOL
I am glad that she is feeling better. I hope that the culprit is the meds and not the food.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Imtoth, aka: Leslie---you have Dex on a fish recipe right?? Has his itching improved?
FYI, we use Natural Balance Duck & Potato. Dex used to have ear infections with other food, but has been clean since we switched to this. He is still somewhat itchy, but it's much much better than it had been.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
It may be that because her digestive tract is still inflamed that the food isn't being completely and is being absorbed as whole proteins instead of broken down to amino acids. The body will react to these proteins as foreign bodies and allergic symptoms will result. It is likely that when her tummy calms down she will be able to eat her normal kibble without any trouble.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Just saw this post
Sorry for poor Mija
Get well soon sweet girl, maybe the meds, maybe the chicken
Hope you figure it out soon .....................

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hope Mija is on the mend soon - huggs from Annabelle

We had a lab that was allergic to beef years ago, our vet suggested Lamb over Chicken, we switched to Eukanuba or Iams (cant remember which) lamb and rice and she did great

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
keep us posted :D

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
sessa35 said:
OK!!

....we've switched to the Herring and Sweet Potato recipe---we'll see....

p.s. The pet food store offered to refund the money on the bag of chicken formula and that they would donate it to the shelter right away--she said that the company actually refunds the money on their product when you are not satisfied...interesting....and nice. :smile:
OMG Herring and SP, now I'm gonna be thinking of Rose on The Golden Girls and her Herring pies and Herring circus stories

I hope the new food works great !

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Good luck with the new food - that was one of the brands we researched when we made the switch and I remember it rating very highly.

I think there's something to be said about a dog liking a new food - Kirby went crazy for the duck and potato food we feed Dex and had only been moderatly interested in the food his original owner fed him.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think dogs always like new food. Wouldn't you want to eat something different?! Herring and sweet potato is something very new to me. I didn't even know they made fish based dog food. I make Charlie fish cookies with canned salmon and he absolutely loves them.

I hope this works out for you!

Deb

·
Registered
985 Posts
I had wondered about switching, too. Right now I'm giving Chouette Canidae chicken, but she doesn't eat much unless I add something more interesting, like a sprinkle of grated cheese or scraps from the table. She's not skinny so she's obviously getting as much - or more - than she needs. However, she still has issues in that left ear. Our friend the retired vet, who is not the one who cares for her medically, suggested trying first swabbing the ear out with alcohol, and then if that doesn't take care of the problem, switching to vinegar, two or three times a week or as needed. He said that most fungus infections respond to alcohol, but those that don't are killed by vinegar. We tried the alcohol for a week and her ear wax and odor still came back, so now we're on the vinegar, and I've used it two or three times so far. A while ago I eliminated all corn, even in snacks and treats, but I'm wondering about sugar, because the yogurt treats I sometimes give her do have sugar and someone, I think it was Linda, mentioned that as a possible culprit for ear problems.

Blue Buffalo is available at Petsmart; might be more expensive than Canidae but she barely eats two cups a day so that wouldn't matter if it were better for her.

Any advice?

Leslie

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You might try Raw feeding...
When I asked a Vet friend about Raw diets she told me she did suggest feeding Raw for several conditions and it worked. I do feed Abby raw she loves it. She did arrive from the breeder with ear infections among other things so I'm hoping (actually seeing good results) Raw feeding is healing her quickly. I just got her Blood work back it's perfect!...Just another option...mtd

·
Registered
985 Posts
Thanks! She certainly loved raw deer meat, but I don't think I'm up to a whole new way of feeding her. I would be interested in knowing whether anyone has any other ideas, though. Or maybe I should just stick with what I'm doing and clean her ear out regularly. The Frontline did seem to address the itching, I've noticed, so I guess the groomer was right about the fleas.

Leslie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts