Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the sweetest Labradoodle, Abbie. She's 5 months old and is very playful with other dogs and friendly with humans. She is however not comfortable going into new buildings (i.e. other people's houses, my office, stores, etc.). She's also petrified of stairs (when there are more than 5 steps). Any suggestions on how to integrate her into new environments without it being so traumatic? Not sure if something happened before I got her two months ago.

·
Registered
401 Posts
just make sure its a happy experience, thats how we got riley to go into the vets office. give abbie treats and praise as she goes in. try to avoid steps as much as possible. going up and down stairs too much can lead to hip dysplasia. but if it is a must try holding a treat and leading her in and once in give her the treat.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hello, welcome and congratulations!
I am not certain what caused your pup to be timid, but it can be the way she was raised (possibly outdoors or in a kennel and not well socialized) or a phase she is going through...they go through 2 "fear" periods in their puppyhood.
This article has good suggestions...I am not implying that the first part (selecting a puppy) fits this circumstance...but I think that you can find some good ideas further down in the article.
I hope that you will post pics soon!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts