Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
We have had our labradoodle, Kayla, for almost two weeks, and she is fourteen weeks old. We got her with the intention of having her come to work with me as a therapy dog - I work as a chaplain in a nursing home - but we have to wait until she is potty trained for her to come regularly. We are trying to figure out how long we can/should put her in the crate during the day and at night. We obviously want to be home and with her as much as possible, but when I wanted to go to bed early the other night, we both got worried about putting her "to bed" when she had only been out and with us for four hours (from 5 to 9). Is that enough interaction time for a puppy at this stage? How much interaction does she need? Whenever we're home she's always with us, and going out for "potty time" about every 15 minutes. My husband also comes home and lets her out and plays with her for about 15 minutes at lunchtime, and we leave the house around 8 am. I would appreciate any words of wisdom from all you other doodle owners out there! Thanks-
Christana

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi there...
Sounds just like my schedule! I don't get as much time with Boone as I would like right now, but bills do have to be paid.
I work 8-4 monday to friday.
Generally the boyfriend is home with Boone during the day, but 2 days a week or so he is also gone 8-4. He's lucky he has a sales job and it's very flexible for us.
So Boone does spend sometimes 8 hrs in the crate. He just naps, and chews some of his rubber toys and is totally fine. When I get home, we play, he has a snack (not dinner, just a little something) we go outside, then about an hour later, I put him back in the crate so I can shower. Then he's out till 10 or 11. I don't like it, but he's out all day with us on weekends and some days with my boyfriend during the week.
Of course when he's out of his chewing stage, and totally housetrained trustworthy he will be out to do as he pleases during the day.
It is enough interaction time for him so don't worry. As long as the time she does spend with you is positive, and stimulating you shouldn't worry.
When you leave her, make sure you don't make a big fuss about it, same goes for when you get home. Just let her out of the crate, give her a quick pet and take her right outside. Making it a huge deal will only lead to seperation issues down the road.
At 14 weeks, the potty training shouldn't be too much of a problem, they get better at picking it up as they get older.
I felt totally the same way you do when I first got Boone a few months ago, because I had never crate trained a dog before.
She will be fine, and grow into a social, happy dog!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hello Christana,
I can't add anything to what Tinaweena says, sounds like she knows how to do it! (Great advice about not making a fuss!)
I just wanted to welcome you and tell you congratulations on your new puppy!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Here is a guideline that I found on Google it might help some.

Of couse we all know that we have to vary our times some but it is a start to go off of I guess.

Crating Duration Guidelines

9-10 Weeks
Approx. 30-60 minutes

11-14 Weeks
Approx. 1-3 hours

15-16 Weeks
Approx. 3-4 hours

17 + Weeks
Approx. 4+ (6 hours maximum)

*NOTE: Except for overnight, neither puppies nor dogs should be crated for more than 5 hours at a time. (6 hours maximum!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.