Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Just wanted a little advice, we've had Dekker for 4 weeks now, he's 15 weeks old. Currently I have a crate hooked up to an expen in the living room, and a babygate in the kitchen so he can be with us when we are in there (a lot). I was wondering how long people left the expen up (apart from pup who could climb out.. Peanut!) I 'd like to get rid of it soon, especially as Holidays are approaching and just use the crate.
Any input would be great....... :wink:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner was about 10 months old before we got rid of Xpen (which we only used while we were out) and gave him gated access to the kitchen and part of the family room. Now at 15 months he has access to both kitchen and family room. :wink: :wink: I guess it depends on if he is completely potty trained, does he chew and how much of your house are you going to let him have access to. If he has access to the kitchen, does he counter surf???

When you are ready to try it, I would recommend beginning with very short periods of time. If he leaves things alone, then increase the time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mmmmmm, maybe not yet me thinks. He's not tall enough to counter surf yet, and I don't leave him alone in the kitchen for more than 10 mins at a time. He is basically in the Xpen for naps and calming down time. He hasn't figured out yet there is such a place as upstairs, and my place isn't huge, so it's not as if he would have access to the whole house and obviously if I'm out or in bed I'll crate him..
As for potty training he knows what should be done outside and haven't had an accident in a while, but I do keep pushing his butt out the back door as well as plenty of walks.
He basically chews whatever is on the floor which is tough considering I have a two small kids (teaching them to keep their toys tidy though).
Annie did/does Tanner have a crate? When you got rid of the Xpen do you crate Tanner at all?
Thanks,
Pip

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
On day two Tanner said no to the crate at night. Said he preferred to sleep on our bed. Now remember he was 4 1/2 months old when we got him so he could sleep through the night.

I put his crate in his xpen, but he never went in it so I put it in storage.

He liked his xpen and just slept in there when we were gone. He felt secure in there and it was in front of a large window so he could look out.

When we were home, we just used gates to confine him to a certain area. I have some that are fixed like the one to the basement. I have one that I can take from room to room (a baby gate really) and that was handy if I wanted him to stay with me in a particular room. Actually, our house was a maze of gates :lol: :lol:

We still use 2 Xpens, opened up, to block off our living room and will use one around our Xmas tree.

We don't have any small children...just a cat that we tried to keep him away from. I would imagine your situation is more difficult with little ones.

I didn't know what I was doing but I just kept trying different things until I found what worked for Tanner. Every dog is different and every house and family is too.

Good luck...I am sure some others will have some suggestions as well :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Never had xpens - we do have gates to the living room - Annabelle is not allowed in there if we are not home or in bed, gates went up last year when we got new LR furniture, she could easily hop over them, but has not thankfully.

Each dog is different, Annabelle refused to be crated - howled and messed in her kennel as soon as we walked out of the room so from about 12 weeks she slept with us, only thing she did was chew on the boxspring. We still did kennel her when we went out until she was about 4 or 5 months then the messing was just too frustrating and too stressful on AB so we let her have run of DR, kitchen, hall, stairway and she has a dog door to screen porch and then one to fenced back yard - she has been fine - our neighbors kept an eye on her the first few times we left her and she was ok. She mostly sleeps while we are gone. I'm home most of the time so she really isnt alone much at all

Good luck - Gene puts his xpen around his Christmas tree -you might want to consider that if you are concerned about the tree

·
Registered
985 Posts
I got the xpen as something less confined for Chouette, and we did use it for awhile. Then I moved it to my studio, and yesterday (she's now six months old) we finally folded it up and put it away. We still crate her when we're not home, and DH pens her outside when I'm away and he's working in the yard, more because she's not that reliable about coming when she's called than because she'd get into things. Of course, it would help if he wouldn't leave chicken and goose feathers around (she loves those) or bury chicken carcasses in the garden. Otherwise beyond scaring the frogs in the pond she's pretty good outside, but if he's busy he can't watch her. I'm looking forward to the day when she can have more freedom, but it's up to her, really!

We haven't left her alone with the run of the house yet, but she was fine when she stayed in the car while we were having dinner in a restaurant. At home if we're not careful about closing doors she gets into the closet that holds our granddaughter's toys and comes out first with one and then another Groovy Girl accessory. She loves those! But she relinquishes them with no fuss.

Leslie

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hi, I wonder, if you are "passed" needing the expen, how about a baby gate blocking off the kitchen? Or a 2-room area?

We have a baby gate roped, kinda, to our stairway and it blocks off the kitchen and family room and those are the 2 rooms we're mostly in, so they are the area our 5mo old Truffle considers her home. She'll eventually be allowed to rome the house like the other dogs do, but for now this is a good way to monitor her, yet not give her more space than she can be in, without an accident.

does this make sense? I think the point of the crate, or the expen is to give a puppy a controlled sense of being confined yet with you. So we've broadened the area to these two rooms, as we can do it with one single gate.

Oh, by the way, Sheba (Chouette's mom) is STILL happy to go in a crate at night! When we went out of town last week the friend who kept Sheba was pleasantly surprised at how easily a grown dog would go in a crate for the night! Now, she doesn't 'need' to go there, as far as housebreaking goes, but since dogs are den animals, she still doesn't mind it.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
to this day Xpens weren't really used, as Peanut showed us all why

i did alot of Tethering and if mopping floors or needed a break , then i'd crate a doodle for a short period of time to nap and i could get some work done and a break for a short while

Beau, is my 3rd doodle, he is like Max and sticks to dave and I like glue but i am tethering him for short periods as he's only 4mos old.
and YES he naps in his crate which give peanut, max and me a short break

1 - 10 of 10 Posts