Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After graduation class on Thursday night, Dakota came home ond threw up 4 times which I attributed to too many treats. Last night he gulped a bowl of food and then went into hyper time and threw up 3 times. We've been playing indoor ball with him all afternoon. After we said enough, he took to chewing a rawhide and threw up a bunch of what looks like food mixed with rawhide. Is this normal puppy stuff or is it time for the vet?
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hi, I think I would CALL my vet - because we've worked together for several years now- but before taking Dakota in, I think I would give him some bland food, maybe some yogurt or cottage cheese with some kibble...know what I mean? like rice, etc?

anyway, I'd watch him and try to track when he's vomiting and what were doing for the few hours beforehand, the way you are doing it.

One other thing...you mentioned "gulping" -- so do you want to revert back to spreading his food out in smaller quantities? In light of his pattern of having an upset tummy I think I would back off on portions to let his system settle down.

best wishes! I hope Dakota feels better soon.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've been having a similar problem with Doc too. I also thought it was from too many treats at obedience class this week, but he threw up the night before class too. I put him on a cottage cheese, and white rice diet for one whole day. Then the next day I added some kibble to the rice. That worked, but then today after church, he threw up again. I did give him a little handful of cat food before I left for church, so that might have been why he threw up. I'm going to be very careful about what I feed him. I'd be interested to hear how Dakota does.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input! I will call the vet tomorrow and see what he suggests. I would be more concerned if Dakota was feeling poorly but right now he is in the backyard harrassing our son! He's been perky as ever! It's probably something I can monitor.
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Diane, Maureen's advice is right on ...she is gooood!

I'd like to add that since you mentioned that Dakota is chewing rawhide, it could be a slight blockage...rawhide doesn't digest and so if they swallow a large chunk of it, a blockage could result. Before you really panic, I give my dogs rawhide too, and even though they have swallowed some really large pieces, it passes through...so make sure that Dakota is still pooping and if he is, it's not likely a blockage...try a little of the canned pumpkin, it can't hurt and just might help.

If the vomiting lasts more than a day, I'd see a vet.

Let us know what you find out...give Dakota my love.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts