Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the rule of thumb is (Age in months) + 1 = # of hours between pees.

However, our almost-4-month-old still seems to need to go out every 2 hours max. Is this something to worry about?

I would think maybe he's just "used to" going out more, but if he's out of his crate and playing, he'll stop to ring the bells to go pee, and if we ignore it, we're sorry! If we try to leave him in the crate longer than his first "I need out!" whine, we're also sorry, so the idea of "teaching him to hold it" seems difficult at best.

My thinking is: Better to take him out frequently than to let him have accidents (and get used to that).

He drinks with every meal, before and after every walk (pretty much), and while playing, so maybe he's just well hydrated. :)

Any thoughts would be welcome!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Welcome to the forum...
I don't think that this schedule is all that unusual...and I agree with your thoughts on it.
I think that when a puppy gets used to being outside to potty, they actually do prefer to go outside. So, all of this effort on your part will soon pay off...in fact, it alread is! You are getting signals to go outside...that is pretty good!
Hang in there...you are doing a fine job!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts