Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do yall use to fight off the ticks. I just had one crawling on me and then found two on Samantha. I checked her real well and think she is clean now. She slleps with me so I want to make sure we are having ticks.

HELP PLEASE[/quote]

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I want to make sure we are NOT having ticks.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Ticks, yuck!!

Go for the Frontline or Advantix from your vet. That's the only way I know of for 100% protection. You still might find one here and there, but it's either dieing or on the way to being dead.

That reminds me, got to get some put on Cinnamon. Thanks for reminding me!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi John,
Gosh, we have a problem with ticks too...and here is what I have learned:
1) Spot on treatments (Advantix and Frontline) will kill an embedded tick and so stop them from reproducing, but it does not repel ticks, so they will still get on Samantha.
2) If you want to repel ticks you should also use a tick collar with Amitraz as the active ingredient. You can remove the collar when Samantha is not outdoors.
3) If Samantha does get a tick embedded in her, remove it right away, pulling it straight out (don't try all of those other things, like burning it's butt or putting vasaline on it), put an antibiotic ointment on the site and if you can get antibiotics to give her, you might want to...this is how they treat tick borne diseases.
Sometimes, if she gets more than one tick embedded, she may show signs of paralysis or muscle weakness because ticks actually inject something to cause paralysis around the site and if there are many ticks, it is not uncommon to have a dog react this way.
4) Put the tick in a sealed container with alcohol and take it to the vet for analysis. (Not required, but helpful...especially if she does get sick because they can examine the tick and know what it carries.

Bayley once ran away and when she returned I cut out all of the stickers and burrs but she is black and I didn't see the tiny ticks...a couple of days later she started getting bumps that looked like they were growing nipples! LOL I thought she had some weird skin disease...I took her to the vet and found out that she had embedded ticks! They were so gross! (She sleeps with us too!) But she had about 8-10! Since she had so many, they gave her a shot of anitbiotic, just in case, and told me to watch her for muscle weakness and paralysis which is common with ticks.

We still can't see tiny ticks on our dogs because they are dark, but we do check and we also feel them regularly for lumps! We also use Advantix, but it is harmful to cats...so if you have cats, use Frontline.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up with K9 Advantix, but they are like $15 per monthly application, between that and the Interceptor Samantha is nearly $25 a month, But she is worth it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We use Frontline for Holly. Yesterday I was shocked to find about 7 ticks on her fur-- she must've stumbled into a nest (do ticks make nests?) or something! They were not attached to her skin or anything, just on her fur. My sister ( my vet tech/resident dog expert :) ) said tha t Holly get the ticks on her just walking through the tall grass, but the Frontline keeps them from actually biting/burrowing into her skin. So they end up being brought into the house and getting on the humans, ugh. Do they make Frontline for people?

I've had RMSF before, and don't want to repeat the experience! :( So I check Holly, myself and the kids daily!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I know this might sound silly but I keep 5 acres out of 6 mowed down
to 2.3 to 3in cut, that way it does cut down on insects/ticks etc
and i keep dogs away from wood piles in brush line/woods area.

I also check them daily from Spring thru Fall for ticks and fleas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, between the tick-infested tall grass and the poison ivy everywhere, letting Holly romp off-leash is a thing of the past...I keep her on the leash now when we go on our walks, and let her run free in a mowed area of our property (away from the road and the poison ivy!) I guess those off leash walks will have to be a wintertime thing! :(

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Jacquie777 said:
Yeah, between the tick-infested tall grass and the poison ivy everywhere, letting Holly romp off-leash is a thing of the past...I keep her on the leash now when we go on our walks, and let her run free in a mowed area of our property (away from the road and the poison ivy!) I guess those off leash walks will have to be a wintertime thing! :(
Not to mention snakes! Tyke almost got bitten this weekend - she's going to be on the leash from now til the first frost!!! :lol:

G

·
Sam I would do a little research on that one. I know when there was a posting about promeris that Ventex came up on the link that was given in that post. I can't remember what was said but I remember a negative vibe about Ventex as well as promeris. Could be wrong though.

Maya used promeris once and never again. She is on Advantix

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
spray using Hartz flea and tick..i use it once a week on their
coats..just spray and comb in with my fingers..i ve found this to
be the most mild yet effective treatment..

in addition i have them on Advantix as well..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts