Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm located here in Indiana and the ticks are the worst I've ever seen. Both the doodles are on Advantix K9, but I've still found ticks on them. Great big bloated ones. Yuck! Luckily my daughter isn't squimish about taking them off and we don't have a problem with lyme disease in Indiana.

The vet has recommended a collar called Preventic, but I'm hesitant because the dogs like to wrestle a lot and it involves a lot of mouthing of the neck area.

I found one on me last night and one in my bedroom this morming. Too bad there's not a once monthly topical for humans. I guess May is supposed to be the worst month for them. Hopefully this will get better.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i've read that collars to repel ticks and fleas work better for small dogs than for large ones -- the "radius" of effectiveness is only so big, and if the dog is wearing the collar where a collar is normally worn the protection might not extend all the way to the end of the dog. i've never tried them myself, tho... we just keep our doods fur short in the summer, and check for ticks regularly.

-em

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The darned things are thick in KS, too. I've not found one on Cinnamon, but I've gotten one off of the bedroom wall by her bed. 'Tis the season!

Cinnamon's on Frontline. I've only found dead ticks on her since. She hasn't had one flea either. With Frontline, you have to apply it every month for ticks. I don't know about Advantix.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i use the Hartz flea and tick along with the Advatix..

the Hartz is sprayed on once a week..but, if u want
Adam s has spray that ll last a month..

i prefer the Hartz cuz it s a bit milder..and i use it
after bathing Toby every now and then when he gets
into a mud puddle..

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I found an adult female deer tick crawling on my carpet yesterday - looks like the advantix did its job here as it probably took a ride in the house on one of my three.

Now I just have to start treating Annie when they go outside... I pulled a deer tick nymph off of her shoulder this morning while helping her into her school uniform. It is now safely sealed in a tupperware container and will be shipped off and tested for lyme. I'm not waiting for the stiff joints to appear - I want to know NOW if it is an infected tick.

"Don't mess with my cub" growled mama bear.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
My vets office told me that ticks are really bad this year. And they have gotten many calls and (they take out the tick for free) alot of dogs in to get the ticks removed.

But I am hoping keeping the grass cut short and keeping up with cacao will work. I can't stand ticks. YUCK!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I've been using K-9 Advantix and so far haven't seen any ticks. It's been unusually cold here though, so I suspect that has something to do with it. Also where the dog runs are the grass is kept very short and there are no trees within about 30 feet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a bit of internet research yesterday after pulling the tick off myself and most medical sites report that the tick has to be attached for 24 hours before disease can be transmitted. That, at least, is a relief.

·
Registered
398 Posts
That is the concensus. I find the problem is more the undetected ticks that attach gorge and fall off. I don't bother saving the ticks for the vet as I would have to bring in full ziplock bags. If my guys exhibit any signs of Lyme disease then we assume that is what they have.

My husband had a tick on him and got lyme disease but he never saw the tick. Just the evidence on his leg of the bullseye mark.

I can't wait for a good vaccine for Lyme. I'm discussing the pro's and cons of vacinating Remy. There isn't a vaccine for the cats yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We read the scientific research articles testing the efficacy of the lyme vaccine and were not happy with the results. We decided that there is not enough evidence that it works. In fact I know one labradoodle that had the vaccine and got lyme disease a couple months later (it was treatable with antibiotics so not an immune reaction to the vaccine).

We live in an area that has very high numbers of ticks and incidence of lyme disease however we have yet to find a tick on Sienna. I worry that we are just missing them with her long coat.

How do you find them? Do they come off in your brush/comb?

·
Registered
398 Posts
When I groom Remy, I make sure to "feel" my way around his entire body. I feel for any bumps no matter how small and when I find one I do a visual check. I use a fine tooth comb on him now, and I've actually gotten a couple off him with the comb.

By feeling him over, he gets used to me touching him everywhere and I can find any spots where a tick might have been,or any scratches or bite marks that may need attention too.

He is a mini and at 5 pounds, it is easy to check his entire body every night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts