Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Yesterday I took Brinkley romping at a our local golf course. We only have about a week left before the golfers officially stake their claim and shoo me off. He had such a great time running - well doodling 500 warp speed - from green to fairway... This morning as I was giving him his morning hugs and kisses, I felt a lump behind his ear and one on his shoulder blade. TWO ticks had attached themselves which I quickly removed. Since he is almost 5 months now, is it safe to apply a topical tick preventative? Are there advantages one over the other commercial brand - Frontline - Advantix? Your thoughts on the lyme disease vaccine? Do they even still make and do people use those snap flea and tick collars?

I want to make sure that I can protect him from the ticks. He is bound to get more as the weather gets warmer here (wishful thinking...)
Thanks for your help
:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check with your vet and make sure you have lyme disease in your area. My vet informed me that ticks in our area (Indiana) don't carry lyme disease and she would rather pull a couple of ticks off a dog than in her words, "systematically poison them with toxins". Of course she is a holistic vet and every veterinarian has different opinions about that kind of thing. I'm sure the other, more traditional, vet that we use would have a different opinion. And if you travel to a different states, then that changes the equation too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Andrea very much for the comparison chart. I am also going to place a call to my vet and inquire about the vaccine pros and cons and see what he says. I don't like the idea of another vaccination but I know that lyme disease carrying ticks can do a number to his joints and over all well being.
thanks again,
chris

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We use advantix (our vet said it protected vs more things than frontline). I think we started somewhere around 4-6 mos, but your vet should be able to tell you if it's time. We also pulled a tick out of Dex around that time and it scared us...they analyzed the tick and found it to be harmless, but we started on protection immediately.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have saved the tick so the vet could have examined it. I did not even think that way. I was in such a worry mode that I just wanted it out of his neck!! I will just assume that all ticks are disease carriers and start him on one of these topicals asap. I don't want to chance his health and decide randomly that this tick looks like a good tick - this one looks bad hhehhehe:)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
We use Advantix, and my vet said that since Advantix only works when the tick attaches, and you know you will be in tick country, it is a good idea to put a tick collar on the dog to keep the ticks off. You can remove the collar when you get home. Also, there is a special ingredient that you need to ward off ticks and it is not found in the cheap collars...of course, I can't recall what that ingredient is! But if you buy the most expensive collar, it will probably be the right one. *sigh*
Bayley was covered in ticks when we first got here. (I had no idea what an engorged tick looked like!) The vet gave her a shot of antibiotics just in case.
Good luck!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I lived in the heart of Lyme disease country (near the Connecticut/New York border) before moving to New Mexico 18 years ago. I always kept a strong flea/tick collar on my Siberian Huskies, usually supplied by the vet. I never had a problem with ticks, but of course, I was constantly diligent with my dogs and even more so with my young children. We always sprayed the kids' shoes and pants legs with tick repellent.

Remember that the deer ticks which carry Lyme disease are TINY, almost indistinguishable from a speck of dirt. Common dog ticks are much larger, like a smal ladybug.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called our vet and he has the expensive ($20) collar that you mentioned. He said it can last three months. I looked on line and found the same collar for less than $10 with no shipping charges. So i am going to put the collar on Brink when I know we are going to where there could be ticks and when I come home - I can remove it. In addition to the Advantix monthly topical and being diligent on checking for them - I think like the jingle says - No fleas no ticks on me.....

thanks very much for your suggestions.

·
Registered
260 Posts
one thing to remember if you like to go tent camping with your dog(s), and use some kind of tick repellent -- it is important to do a tick check each night before going to sleep. ticks that have been carried into the tent but prevented from biting your dog due to the repellent can jump ship and decide the nice warm humans are a tasty alternative!

-em

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a new current picture of Brinkley. The previous picture didn't even look like him anymore. He is growing in leaps and bounds. I will be in awe if he ever catches up to the size of his PAWS.....

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have my dogs vaccinated for Lymes disease because it's SO common in my area. My son, husband and father have all had it at different times. Sadly, there are other tick born problems they can get... and Moses was quite ill last year with one of them. I use a topical treatment besides the vaccine because it's better for the dogs to be protected and it's cheaper to prevent problems than to cure them.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Our dogs received the lymes vaccine too...I know some don't agree with giving it, but our vet recommended it and I agree with giving vaccinations.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Our vet recommends Lyme disease vaccines but our friend the vet who doesn't practice now does not. He feels that there are too many side effects and compromises with the animal's immune system and that Lyme isn't that hard to treat if the animal contracts it. Since I tend to avoid innoculations myself I was just as happy to forego that particular vaccination for Chouette.

If you do a search for Lyme vaccine on the forum there are a lot of discussions about pros and cons. On one thread I think I posted some links to some interesting articles about it.

By the way, most of our friends who spend any time in the woods (we know naturalists and archeologists) have had Lyme, and my husband came down with Ehrlichiosis, another tick-borne disease, which the doctor at first suspected was acute leukemia! But neither of us has had Lyme so far, although it's very common here.

Leslie

·
Registered
247 Posts
you can try frontline or advantage, but these are both pretty strong chemicals (i never figured out why it says KEEP OFF SKIN when you are dousing your dog with it!!). they do work wonders tho! when we got shaia, she was covered in fleas, so i used it when she was a baby once to kill the initial infestation. they work for ticks too. however, i hate the idea of using chemicals like this (for her sake and ours). check out dr pitcairn's natural guide to health for dogs and cats. he has some good suggestions (using lavender, feeding brewer's yeast, etc). we went on a hike recently and she came back covered in ticks, so i am in the same boat and need to figure this out for us too!! :roll:

·
Registered
97 Posts
name of tick collar

We just treated Bodzin with Frontline... so I don't want to hit him with Advantix... but a collar I could do. We are going backpacking in the Appalachains this coming week..... what was the name of the collar that you got online? I will search it out and try to get it before friday... digging through all of Bodzins hair every night in the tent does not sound fun!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anyone ever used the Adam's line of products? I had a greyhound that I would spray down with the Adam's spray if we were going to be in an area that she might get a tick, but not sure about using it on my doodle.

I have used Frontline on him in the past but I really hate putting that on him then having my 3 year old climbing all over him and playing with him (which he loves). It just does not seem like the safest alternative.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Preventic

The name of the collar that my vet recommends and sells if Preventic Tick Collar. It cost less if you buy it on line at one of the pet sites. I did not know - many thanks for telling me - that Lyme disease ticks are very tiny specs. Brinkley had ladybug size ticks so that was good to know the difference. But a tick is a tick is a tick. No thanks! So I have ordered the K9Advantix and the collar. Double duty. I am still weighing the pros and cons of the vaccination.
Here is the info on the collar.
Preventic Tick Collar

* Effective tick collar kills and detaches ticks for up to 3 months
* Preventic tick dog collar works on pups over 12 weeks of age
* Helps protect your dog from Lyme disease and more
Contains Amitraz to help protect your dog from life-threatening diseases transmitted by ticks, including Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Prevents attachment of ticks, and provides a full three months of protection. Fits necks up to 25". For dogs only, over 12 weeks old.

Active Ingredients: Amitraz 9.0%.

Amitraz spreads over your dog in the oil of its skin and haircoat where its activity starts within 24 hours to detach and kill existing ticks on your pet. Amitraz continues to prevent attachment and feeding and kills new ticks that may climb onto your pet for up to 90 days. The collar and its active ingredients are not affected by normal wetting such as rainfall, however it is suggested the collar be removed before bathing. This collar should be replaced when new ticks are seen to persist on your pet. For optimal efficacy for tick control and prevention you should replace the collar every 3 months.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts