Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after all that happy talk about being in the back yard, I found a big ugly TICK on Louie's neck. My son and I tried to remove it with tweezers and every time we got close to the prey, Louie would wiggle too much, and we'd lose sight of it, and have to search through all that fur again.

Any suggestions? This seems like something we should be able to do ourselves without taking him to the vet, but we don't have enough human hands here to hold him still, hold back the fur, and tweeze the tick!

·
Registered
146 Posts
We just found a tick on Henry near his eye. :shock: We took him to the vet and they removed it. We didn't want to mess with tweezers so close to his eye and the tick had burrowed pretty far in. You have to be careful you don't leave part of the body or head in there.

The vet didn't charge us, which was a nice surprise.

Good luck if you do it yourself. When I have to distract Henry I hold some kibble or treats in my fingers and I don't let him actually have them. He smells and licks the treats and is very focused on them.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK this used to work on wood ticks on my kids and me when i lived on Lake Erie

i'd smother the Tick with a really big thick gob of Vaseline
within seconds the Tick would back out and waahlaa i'd use TWEEZERS to catch the bugger and wrap it in plastic and put in freezer.

why put in freezer? just in case anyone got sick i'd have the Tick to show them and be identified.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great advice, thanks!

Last night I ended up calling the 24-hour vet, who said come on over...it was midnight and the street looked like that Edward Hopper painting, all dark and lonely but for the warm glow of the lights on at the animal hospital.

The man on duty got the tick out with no fuss. He showed me how to hold Louie, with my arm under his belly and palm under/around his snout--firm but not too firm. Louie was still as a stone. That was the secret--proper restraint technique, and then a sure hand with the tweezers.

Next tick who gets on board that fur train won't know what hit him.... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts