Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night out of the blue Dexter threw up. This happened around 9 pm. He ate dinner around 6. He threw up a lot of food (probably at least half of what he had eaten). I didn't think much of it (he's thrown up before) and he gobbled it all back up before I could get to him. However, he then threw it all back up again 15 min later. We cleaned it up (didn't let him eat it) and he went to bed. My husband just fed him this morning (less than usual - about 3/4 a cup) and he threw it all back up again. There wasn't anything else in the puke besides food.

I know this is a big change for him having Kirby in the house, but Dex doesn't seem upset about it (if anything he's a bit too interested/excited in Kirby). We are taking Kirb to the vet tonight and will probably drag Dexter along. Does anyone have any thoughts on this??

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Don't really have any advice. When Jonah throws up, it's usually irritation from something he ate....stick, pen, etc. Sometimes it takes a few times to get it up. Wouldn't hurt to take him in with youto the vet. It could be excitement also. Stress used to do it to Miko....especially car rides til she got used to them.

Good luck, keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Awww, poor Dexter! I hope it's just a little case of nerves and nothing more. Hang in there big guy! Hope that belly feels better!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
poor baby - it could be the stress of having a new brother and all the xtra playing. or he could have a tummy bug, or as Gene said, ate something he shouldnt have -

I'd Definitely take him along to vet since he's been sick more than once - have any dramamine in the house - we've used that when a pup had upset tummy along with rice/ground cooked meat for food for a few days

Annabelle sends smooches

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I wouldnt worry at all unless there are other symptoms such as lethargy or increase or decrease of water intake. As you are already headed to the vet I would mention it to him when you are there, but as mentioned, excitement can change your digestion very quickly :) and kirby sounds extremely exciting!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I hope Dexter is back to normal soon!
The others have given great advice as usual, but I will keep him in my prayers.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Poor Dexter! A trip to the Vet with Kirby is probably a good idea!

:shock: (OMG the attention the two of them are going to get!) :shock:

I can't help but think that in the last five days Dex has had a twelve hour car ride, gotten a new brother, was at Annmarie's for fun and frolicking with two other playful doodles, still has a new brother and seen his world change dramatically.

That might give me a tummy ache too! :oops: I hope that's it! Good thoughts that he's feeling better soon!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, so sorry about Dexter...but it may be something as serious as a blockage, so I would not ignore it. When a dog throws up bile, it commonly acid and has many causes and treatments...but when they throw up food, it might be because the food can't pass through.
I'd definately go to the vet to be sure. Best wishes to you and to Dexter!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
The vet trip for both dogs is a great idea
Give you peace of mind. When Denver has done this,
he has checked out fine, maybe change in weather or
new dog or cat in the house. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
FoodLady said:
or new dog or cat in the house.
How could he tell? :p :p :p
Bahahahahahaahahahahaaa!!!!!!!!!!
Boy somebody is very sharp this morning(teehee)

When I call my vet I always get"Oh Sue dog or cat and how old?
and should we just come to your house" My vet thinks she is very funny.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but it may be something as serious as a blockage, so I would not ignore it.
hmmm i wasn't worried until i read this. He did poop yesterday afternoon and again this morning so that's a good sign, right?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
He did poop yesterday afternoon and again this morning so that's a good sign, right?
Pooping is good. ----- Never thought I'd ever type that sentence.----- especially if it is regular in ....can't think of the right word .... consistency?

Would a call to the vet help ease your mind?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would a call to the vet help ease your mind?
At this point, he's just physically going with us. My husband took a 1/2 vacation day (we are trying to ease Kirby into the work schedule) so he can just bring both of them. It's going to be a zoo at the vet. Kirby gets so excited when he sees other dogs (as does Dexter). Maybe I should make him bring a camera?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
but it may be something as serious as a blockage, so I would not ignore it.
hmmm i wasn't worried until i read this. He did poop yesterday afternoon and again this morning so that's a good sign, right?
I am not an expert but when our lab ate the entire bag of coconut bag and all he got a blockage. He threw up coconut (I thought it was worms at first - I had no idea he was "helping me" pack the kitchen so well!) And he lost his appetite completely, he laid around lethargic and even went under the deck and wouldnt come out - very strange behaviour for him. He did not poop at all for three days, we were monitoring him and very close to taking him in to the vet then voila a chocolate covered coconut roll came out and he turned around.

You will be at the vet soon and they will set your mind at ease!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi everyone,

The vet said Dex seemed fine :) She said he is probably overly excited about all the changes and gave him antacid to settle his belly. She suggested we split his food more so he can't eat so fast (he's a vacuum).

We are also supposed to give him some pepcid ac.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
glad to hear Vet thinks it is just excitement from the changes - has Dex always inhaled his food or did he just start that? Hope the antacids and pepcid help his tummy How did Kirby do at the vet?

When the kids got Emma, Macy started inhaling her food, before she used to eat much slower.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dex has always inhaled his food - it's gone in less than 2 minutes. Kirby did ok at the vet (well his health was good, his behavior left something to be desired) :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts